PDA

View Full Version : Bucktails- color combinations

Kevin McGill
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
The Lake Shelbyville Muskie Club, invited Walter Krause to speak at last meeting about his book and his fishing techniques on Kinkaid. He stated that there is a bucktail bite on Kinkaid, but only when the water temp is in between 65-70, degrees.Where as our tournament on the 20th 4-of the 7 muskies were caught on bucktails, and the water temp was in the 74-78 degree. So, maybe its not so much the temp of the water but the color combo. Orange, on kinkaid seems to be the color, whether it is an SS Shad, or one of Colbys spinnerbaits.
Could it be a combination of several colors, with orange, along with blk or brown or is it like a firetiger combo. Or is the color just there for the fisherman, and the blade size is the main attraction. What bucktails do you Southern hunters use? And how much do you use the bucktail while you are on the water....kev

Scott Donovan
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
I use bucktails all year long. I have caught fish on bucktails in the 45-80 degree water temps. I love that 68-75 range, but they eat em' all year. Today we had action from 5 fish during a half day trip. The number one bait was the DC-8, but I lost a nice one on the DC-10. I threw everything at them and Llungen tails out produced every one.

I will post a pic of JP's 42 from today on a DC-8.

tiredog
09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
do you have any trouble getting the blades to start on the 8s? i dont like em , seems like i lose half of my retrieve trying to get em turning