PDA

View Full Version : stocking

mseybert
09-21-2009, 07:05 PM
I saw something over on the WLMC site that disturbed me a bit. I would have posted over there but am not registered and didn't want to mess with it. There is talk about diverting the muskie being stocked in Brookville to another lake in Northeast Indiana.

I don't get to Brookville often, and I am not sure many people do, but I would hate to see it go away as an option. How long until all of the muskie lakes are in the Northeast, or Southwest portions of the state, come on! Is the central portion of Indiana not the highest populated and the most likely place to introduce new anglers to? This all sounds like a BAD idea to me. Maybe I am getting worked up over nothing, I sure hope that is the case.

What are your thoughts?

Fred B.
09-22-2009, 12:07 PM
It would be nice to have muskies in a decent sized lake that's closer to Indianapolis. About two years ago, I asked a few key people about stocking muskies in Eagle Creek Reservoir. The bottom line was that the DNR would keep it in mind when it was time to look for new locations. I haven't heard anything since then.

We can always hope...

Fred B.

curtlindsey
09-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Read the whole forum .The only lake wlmc has been inquired about is blue lake which is off hwy 9 out of columbia city,the dnr has ask us to think about doing that also along w/ keeping upper long as our main stocking .someone else had wrote something asking us about this other lake this has not even been talked about in our board meetings..UPPER LONG all the way !guys thanks again for donating to our club we all live to fish for these muskies and it takes both of our clubs to make things happen one club cant do it alone!!any other questions contact Chae Dolsen he will give you the full spill on things thanks Curt Lindsey See ya on the lake!

mseybert
09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I did read the whole forum thank you. I also never implied that Upper Long stocking would be stopped. Read my whole post and you will see that.

If you were to read the whole forum on WLMC I believe you will see that what is on there (I believe written by a board member) said that there was discussion of taking the fish that go into Brookville and stocking them into Blue.

Like I said previously, I just hate to see any stocked lakes go away, I only want to see the list of lakes grow. Maybe this club member was wrong, I sincerely hope so. See quote below from WLMC forum.

Quote from WLMC forum:

"well said greg.. and i agree with you.. but everyone has to know that we will not leave upperlong alone.. that needs to be understood right now. and this is all the beginning stages of the new lake.. we would not be able to start until late 2010 and there are alot of hoops we have to jump to be able to even start stocking there. first a meeting with the dnr and lake association and much more after that.. but then there is the extra money for fish and hopefully getting the state to help so maybee we can get their overflow to go into blue instead of brookville....bill"

william bennett
09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
what i was talking about. (and sorry if it disturbed you i anyway) i that the state came to us about this lake. it is packed with shad and over populated.. well to make a story short.. we will not leave upper long alone,we cant we have worked to hard for that to happen.. it has turned out to be a awsome lake and produces good fish. its worth the drive up to fish it .if you have not yet.. i suggest that you do.. anyway to explain what i was saying is that if the state wants us to do this we cannot do it alone.. to stock fish in a 233 acre lakeand make it work . it wold have to be 4 fish a acre and thats almost 10 grand a year for that lake alone not incuding the 5 grand we put into upperlong each year so if we can do this ad they came to us maybe they can help us in any way the can.. sorry i didnt mean to upset you by saying anything about brookville . as we all know the state used that lake for overflow after stocking all lakes and trading ect. i was trying to say we need their help for a new lake since they came to us to do this . even if they did, they would still put fish into brookville.they are not gonna stop stocking a lake that they have started, there is no reason too. we just need help if we are too pull this off, and who knows maybee the hoosiers and wlmc can do it together.. that would be awsome..
and if you do not remember, you are on the forum , i see you on the members list and you are always welcome there.....bill

and as a note we will be lucky to get any help from the state so we musky fisherman will have to do this ....probly alone

ToddM
09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I do not know if you can get muskies from other states do to VHS but here is something to consider. Illinois has their musky rearing back in order after their successful diet program could not be obtained due to mad cow disease. They estimate that they may have up to 2000 extra fish this fall. In their years of diet disasters, Illinois recieved in trade fish from Iowa. Their program always yeilds way more fish than they need due to the water they use. To me, it looks like two states with a surplus of fish to be put somewhere. Illinois would trade fish, mostly pike to iowa for the surplus muskies. Maybe the indiana dnr can trade for these fish and put them in the new lakes and extras in brookeville. Rumor also has it that patoka will eventually be on the state stocking list. I wonder as well if assisting monetarily this way would be cheaper per fish than just buying them outright. thanks to the WLMC for all they do.

mseybert
09-22-2009, 08:10 PM
It sounds like we are all on the same page now. I just couldn't fathom the thought of cancelling a lakes stocking program to 'test the waters' at a new lake.

I have been to Upper Long once. I liked what I saw, and will be back. I commend the WLMC in their efforts there. I supported the stocking this year in the only way I could at this time, through the auction.

I totally agree that adding more lakes is a must and will support the stocking of Blue Lake however I am able.

The two clubs working together would be great. The funds and people of both clubs could potentially help the DNR in big ways. Maybe we could help get even more lakes stocked. Let’s face it, it would not only give us more options to fish and spread the pressure, but it would introduce more people to the sport. That would only help convince the state about the importance of the muskie program

I know that I have been registered on the WLMC forum in the past. But I tried to log in last night before posting here, and could not get logged in. Maybe I mis-keyed my login data.