PDA

View Full Version : Mid Week Report: Sept 16, 2009

Justin Gaudry
09-16-2009, 11:02 AM
First the bad news. Water temps are still way up. In the 70 degree range, higher in Obabikon, which is also quite green with algae. Predictably, crappies have been slow to start.

Walleyes were decent last week, but slower to start this week. Yesterday saw a little breeze come from the north after 3-4 days of nearly dead calm. The bit of wind seemed to help the walleye bite.

Dick Moore just departed from a two week stay and said his best walleye fishing was still on shoreline points in 15-25 feet of water. One of our groups did well on size in 25-30 feet of water. Other groups have been fishing reefs and catching all the walleye they want as well.

Muskies were steady over the long weekend, then a little quieter as the week went on with the continued sunny, high skies and high pressure. Fish activity picked up sunday afternoon and was quite heavy Tuesday.

Most muskies were coming from sand with green weeds, but others moved some fish on shoreline rocks as well. Double 10 bucktails were the biggest attractor, but some fish were brought up with jerk baits as well.

Ducks have been quite slow. Too much heat. Too high water. No rice. Moore's reported the worst opening hunting in 15 years. Also said they would have had to hunt 3 weeks in WIS to get the ducks they got up here in a week of it, so it's all relative.

Weather forecast looks warm through the weekend before some cooler temps come in. We'll need a change in weather to trigger the crappies to get moving I think.

The September rush is starting this weekend. We'll be busy through the first weekend in October so should be able to get lots of info for the walleye and crappie fisherman out there. We won't have many muskie fisherman until next month so we'll try to be in touch with some friends that chase them to see what is going on out there.

This is the best time of the year to be up here. With the leaves started to change and the multitude of things to fish and hunt...you can't beat fall on LOTW.

Only a few weeks until the time of year I wait for!! I'll be sharpening hooks in my trolling baits soon!!

Be safe out there.