PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report September 1st

Jratthelake
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
We are in the most stable weather pattern we have seen all summer. It has been 70 degrees and warmer for the past 4 days and the long term shows sunny and above normal temperatures for the next 7 days. The Walleye fishing has been consistant with alot of smaller fish being caught on the reefs. Eleven to 15 inch fish are dominant with a few 16 to 18 inch fish mixed in. Jigs and live bait presented as slow as possible will take fish.

We had a couple days of incredible Perch fishing, I spent the better part of day catching 9 to 12 inch Perch with our good friend Gregg Rich. We caugh 47 chunky perch that day and as many 11 to 15 inch Walleyes. We spent one other day trolling around the Hayfields for pike and picked up 4 small fish before deciding that the Walleyes were more fun. We caught some bigger fish during our second day of fishing but not near as many, I had a great time fishing with Gregg, he can catch fish and is a blast to have in the boat.

The Musky fishing has been as good as I have ever seen it. In the past week and a half we have seen Big fish and many multi-fish days. Frank Brandiff and his son jeff had an incredible 4 fish day about a week ago with fish from 40 to 44 inches. Franks buddy Gerry was lucky enough to catch his first Musky on their last night, a 39 incher. And just a couple of days ago a couple of Russ's friends had a 4 fish day as well, I think they had 8 or 9 fish for thier trip. We also had a Father and son both catch their first Musky, Marc caught a 52 inch fish one evening and Adam, his son who is 16 caught a nice 30 incher. Both will be gunning for big fish next year, way to go guys, I enjoyed our time on the lake.

Most of the fish that have been caught this year have fallen to a spinner of some sort. The last 12 fish I have caught have either been on the double bladed HawgHooker are a spinnerbait. I am throwing topwater still but am finding the fish are not commiting but they will follow so it is still a great way to find fish, then its a matter of throwing the right bait at the right time.

Its a good time to be a Musky fisherman on Lake of the Woods, as I mentioned it has been one of the best seasons I have seen so far and with the stable weather I suspect some big girls will be caught in the next week, I was off today and spent the whole day fishing for Muskies and if today is an indicator of things to come I am very excited. I saw two fish before breakfast, caught 2 between 8 and 9 am, had a slow afternoon seeing only one fish but went out tonight and boated 2 more. Everything was in line today and I hope that it continues through to October when the fish are that much bigger and fatter. All the photos posted below are from the last week and a half or so and I am also posting photos in an album on Bounty Fishing called Witch Bay Beauties, have a look, enjoy and good fishin.

http://www.bountyfishing.com/gallery/witch-bay-beauties

Jratthelake
09-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Some photos of Gregg and his family as well as a few more Esox photos, maybe I can troll one up with Gregg tomorrow, ill see if he is up for it.