PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 8/29

Steve Herbeck
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
sorry i haven't posted lately but we've been swamped,full,and busy taking care of everyone,guiding,running camp,filming and i've been running on empty.
fishing has remained excellent throughout last postings with patterns very similar with mild fluctuations according to weather patterns.
walleyes have been great mostly at depth of 28-35' on deep flats,off bars/points,and on top of deep bars though with the water temps stabilizing for some time now in the mid 60's we have seen fish moving up shallower on bars and weed line movements quite often especially during the periods of darker cooler weather and pms. 1/4 oz jigs in blue,purple,plain lead,and chart,lindy rigs in 3/8 and 1/2 oz with big minnows have been standard.
guides are consistantly avg. 50-100 fish daily with losts of eaters as well as slot fish and over. eaters deeper and bigger fish generally a bit shallower.
pm trolling suspended fish during periods of sunny warming weather over mainlake basins also been good with fish avg 22-28"+.
the 4wds and fly-ins been pretty much automatic.the cooler avg water temps this season has made walleye fishing very consistant through out many lakes.
lakers on eagle have been very good with alot of fish 14-25# and 20# fish daily at 55-60' over 80-100' already showing some spawning colors,beautifull fat fish.please release all fish over 5#.
muskys are still using both weeds and rocks though the weed bit has been better during periods of sunny weather and the rocks better on dark dropping water temps periods though you still need to fish both. south and east rocks more dominate % wise ,central/north weeds seem to generally be.
big blades and small blades (sunnier flatter weather),some ripping gramas and raiders,tubes,and small jerk baits with some action on side to side topwaters also.
cal,mike,scott J,scott M, and i have all been having 1-4 fish boated or on daily,been pretty consistant even with the up/down weather. lots of 42-49" fish with 2-6 50" boated weekly though more 50"+ lost than boated,lots of big and bigger fish on and off with alot of slow hits and nippers with big hooked fish rushing the boat with thier heads out of the water and shaking off alot . be alert is all i can say.
did a show a week ago with Jimmy and musky hunter tv,was up 3 days,very tough conditions,only got to film 2 days cause of a all day downpour one , hooked 9 boated 4 largest was 53" with some great footage and lots of eagle lake info. watch for it this winter,was great spending time with him and fishing hard to make it happen.
this week gillespie,pete maina,and dad tex came in for 2 days,first day rob and danny took john and tex out and they pounded the walleyes in the am and boated trout to pushing 25# in the afternoon while pete and i just screwed around ,caught up on things as we haven't spent much time together in a while,caught a couple muskies,lost a couple more and had a fun time,next day i took out pete,john and tex and john lost a nice one first cast when it jumped at the boat,we raised probably 20+ fish several 50"+but they were mostly lazy with the hot sunny day and with 5 minutes left i got lucky and put a 47-48" in the boat to cap off what will be a great action packed multi species show.should be on in the next couple weeks.
got alot more great pics to get posted and will get on it soon.
as i said weather conditions,water temps,and depth probes show water temps nearly identical from surface to 40' so as long as we don't get a big spike upwards in water temps it should be/could be one of the best fall fishing seasons coming up in years with little or no turnover effects as it appears there is little or no thermocline in most sections of the lake.
we're really looking forward to it.

fall is approaching fast and before you know it winter will be here.
if you're thinking about/looking for a sept/oct trip yet give us a shout,we still got a few openings here and there,some specials running, with some great fishing coming up.
888 727 5865
info@andymyerslodge.com

good luck and hope to see ya,
herbie
aml