PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ????

Jeff Snug Harbor
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Anybody have an idea why the fishing has been rather slow on the Rock

Have a place on Kline Creek, this is the first year in 15 that we caught almost nothing off our dock.

No Walleyes ony small perch a few strippers and thats about it

No luck for the small Mouth off the rocks at the south end one of my favorate spots.

All the bass guys that come down Kline Creek have the same story they all say its been slow ???

Anybody have a comment.

Jeff

Luke McGarry
08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
My wife and I have been fishing the Rock since about 1992. Just about every weekend from April-Oct. I have seen explosions in fish populations and rollovers from one species to another in abundance. However, over the past few years everything has gone to pot.

I've been thinking about it lately and I think that the decline in the various gamefish populations might be coincided with the explosion of the white bass (stripers). I am beginning to believe that the white bass have been feeding on the offspring of the other species--reducing their availability. This is normal, but there has been an overabundance.

This is the first year, however, that I don't catch stripers all day. They are bigger this year, but fewer and not so much of a nuisance.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm keeping all the white bass I catch. Hopefully, that will help the other species. Catch and Release of the walleyes and bass for the next couple of years might help recovery too. It would help too if the DNR did some stocking. They haven't done walleye or crappie ever. Here is a link to the fish stocking database: http://infotrek.er.usgs.gov/doc/wdnr_biology/Public_Stocking/StateMapHotspotsAllYears.htm

Enjoy!
Luke

tjm242
09-05-2009, 10:42 AM
i have been coming up to castle rock and petenwell for over 30 years, that is almost my whole life. i am here now and there are sooooo many eastern europeans hogging the shoreline that there is no where to fish. petenwell is often wall to wall asians. i am not a racist person at all, but these people hhere have no respect for the resource at all. they keep all fissh thhey catcch no matter how large or small, or species. they come every weekend all year, whhich is completely fishing the area out. i believe it willl continuue to get worse unless dnr steps in and makes sure these people are following the regs and maybe limmit the amount of poles they can havee in the water. i saw a family of 5 have about 20-30 poles inn the water. if you want to fish, fine, but leave some for the rest of us!