PDA

View Full Version : Question on Netting

propman
08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
What % has the netting had on fishing in the Little Bay. I have had people tell me its down 20 to 30%, give me your feedback on this . Thanks Propman

The Bait Shop Guy
08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
It's almost impossible to say how much the illegal netting has changed peoples catch rates. It's certainly been a factor, but there have been many other negative factors all spring and summer that have also made the fishing, (not just for walleyes,) tough. Cold weather and high winds screws up everyone's fishing. The bite has been tough on inland lakes, (no netting,) too.

At one of the BDNGLSF meeting, we were told by one of the DNR biologists that those guys took as many fish out of the bay in two months as all the total sport catch takes in a year. Basically, it was like having twice as many people on the water.

There's still plenty of good fishing to be had - this weekends walleye tourney is testament to that. Many of the guys fishing Sunday said they caught between 30 and 50 fish, with most being in the the 23 to 25 inch range. Even with a 50% "fudge factor," that's still a pretty darn good day on the water.

jigginfins
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Would anyone like to give any hints on where people are getting the 50 fish at or near.

Or a simple north or south would be cool.

If no one says anything i guess that ok too.

But i would tell.

Travis

Fastcat
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
People were fishing south of Escanaba, when you have the south winds blowing for that many days its not a big secret where the fish are, they are stacked up in the Breezy and south area.

jtourangeau
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
You could do the same thing in gladstone or kipling...you just have to look