PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - August 16th

Kevin Nelson
08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
This past week we managed 3 of the most perfect summer days of our season, with highs in the 80's - winds light especially in the evenings and low in the mid 60's. By weeks end, we were back to winds and rain. Unfortunately it was one of quieter weeks during the season, so not as many fishing groups as usual.

Kakagi climbed to 70 degree surface water temps, but has probably lost 5 degrees over the past couple days.

With camp being slower Jean, Jenny, Amy and I spent a little extra time on the water. Tubing out to Gull island, swimming on the remote wilderness beaches, diving off the rock cliffs and enjoying our resort beach. Heard Blueberries were not quite to peak yet - so hoping for a few more summer days to enjoy some blueberry picking.

Lake Trout were biting as they often do on those perfect summer days. Jigging and trolling both produced some 7 - 10 pound Lake Trout. Jean and I were jigging for Lake Trout and caught a few, mostly on drop off fishing between 68' and 87', with some as deep as 120'. One of the evenings we fished near Gull island and never saw another boat - having the lake all to ourselves is sort of neat feeling, but I would rather see more people here to share the experience.

Muskie fishing on Kakagi featured a couple 40", several smaller and some big fish taking looks and actually trying to get the hooks stuck in their mouth. A friend on the lake reportedly landed a 51" Muskie. Crank baits seemed to be the best with some caught casting and others trolling. Some of the biggest fish that were trying to be caught were coming from small shallow weed beds, in typical spawning areas - others were coming from the reefs.

I spent an hour late one evening after Bass and caught a small muskie, so this past Saturday I figured I would break out a Muskie bait and actually try for them. Before leaving the dock, it seemed a good idea to adjust my reel for the bait and took a few casts. Second cast from the dock, a small muskie 26"- 28" range hit and followed to the dock. Third cast from the dock, a small muskie took a run at the lure and a 36"ish muskie followed lazy. Fifth cast from the dock, the 36"ish muskie followed hot, but wouldn't come up for the figure 8. Feeling like the Muskies were going to be moving and the reel was well adjusted for the Muskie bait, I headed out. On the fifth cast a muskie came in deep at first but accelerated as the bait climbed. The muskie went for the figure 8 move and after a few minutes of play - I landed a very healthy looking 37.5" muskie. I checked a few other spots, because I wasn't ready to be done yet... but it was getting too dark to see fish follow. All of these fish came from small shallow weed beds in 8' - 12' shelves and 25'+ water adjacent. If your up on the next few weeks, check these locations late in the evenings after a stretch of warm weather (like is predicted for next week).

Northern Pike fishing included 8, 12 and 17 pound Northern Pike from one group fishing Muskies. A group after Bass also found a couple 30" Northern Pike on Kakagi. Several Pike were caught on Cedartree, with a good mix of sizes.

Walleye bite was up and down on Cedartree - one group did great and another group only found one 24" Walleye, but had the consolation prize of several 4 pound smallies.

Bass fishing was good for those using worms on Kakagi and fishing the windy rainy days - just tough to stay on the spot for any length of time. Trolling crank baits is also working very well for quantity of bass, but need to catch several smaller very aggressive bass to get at the bigger ones.

I tried casting for bass with a light weight rod on one of the nice evenings (8PM - 9PM with sunset at just after 8:30 PM). The bass were popping the surface tight to shore, inside some grass and reeds. Cast up with in a few feet of the grass edge, let the bait float/rest for 10 seconds and start the retrieve. A dozen bass were caught including a 1.5, 2 and 2.5 pound bass and a handful more were lost. Better fish were coming from a transition (grass ends and rock shore begins). Also caught a small muskie while fishing the bass - great fun on a light fishing gear.

We have had a great summer from a business standpoint and a few slow periods are fine, figuring the other resorts need some business also.... but I really wish a few more of you could be here on those really great days for fishing and playing on the water. We should have a few more great days ahead and we have openings now until November. Thank-you.

Regards,