PDA

View Full Version : Top water bass action

casey schug
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Anybody help me out here on getting started with top water bass? What baits work best plastic frogs, hula poppers, buzzbaits? Any info would help, thanks.

Lucas lake
08-17-2009, 07:36 PM
1). Plastic worm(LM Bass) pulled over the top of surface weeds.
2). Zara Spook (LM Bass) with a small chop on the water. Watch out for Muskies
3). Jitterbug(bass) best in the dark or very low light conditions (awesome strikes).
4). All time favorite would be the Heddon Torpedos (Smallmouths and LM) try all three sizes and even the the one with a rattle inside. Change you retrieve until you find out what is working.

Good luck and tight lines.

Blind Robin
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
The Heddon meadow mouse is hands down the best top water largemouth bass lure you can use.
And, I don't know where you live, but if you have the stomach for it and you have mice around your house, garage, or yard like I do, then just put out a couple of glue traps the night before you go fishing and you can then use the real thing.

It's important that you get the mice off of the glue trap fairly quick the next day before they die. Wear some thick gloves, because they could try to bite you. Put the mice into a large coffee can and put some holes in the lid to ventilate. Don't worry about the mice getting out, because they can't seem to get up the sides of the slippery can.

Now the best and easiest way that I found to hook these guys up is to use a plain (without a spinner blade) Smity quick set harness or something similar . At the top of the harness you just make a simple loop knot with it and put that loop over the mouse's head. Then insert just the tip of the first treble hook into the back of the mouse right behind the shoulders. Now make another loop knot towards the end of the harness and slip that around the mouse's body just in front of its back legs. Then insert that last treble hook right into the base of the mouse's tail. That's it, you're now ready to go. That mouse will stay alive for quite awhile and they'll swim like the dickens. Wait till you see the water bust open on one of these guys!

I don't always drink beer,
But when I do.....
I prefer Red White and Blue!

;) Blind Robin.

casey schug
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
thanks for info guys will give these a try

Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Spro Frogs and Rage Frogs are hot topwater lures, work them slowly through the weeds with a stop and go twitching pattern. Zara spooks are great and so are chug bugs in the white color. Another great lure is a zoom super fluke, rig it unweighted Bass love em!

Dave