PDA

View Full Version : Somo Lake

JimL
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Hello, does anybody know if somo lake is a good lake to fish for northerns, musky and bass? I never see too many reports about fishing that lake. Any info would be appreciated. Also, can you get to mohawksin via the somo river from somo lake?

Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes it is a very good lake for Muskie, Pike, Bass, Crappies (size is small) and Walleye's. You can get into Mohawksin from Somo.

Dave

JimL
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info Dave. If anyone has any reports on Somo Lake I would be interested. We have been staying on Jersey Flowage for 17 years and are contemplating switching lakes for a bit of a change.

Silverspring
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I had fished Somo lake a few times about 20 years ago and remember catching many walleye and crappie. Very pretty lake as I remember it.

Dave, are you sure that you can get from Somo lake into the Mohawksin?

As I recall, there is a road where you can drive right over a little dam, or spill over from Somo lake? I think you would have to portage your boat to get it down into the Somo river, unless something has changed?
And as I remember, I tried going up the Somo river from the Mohawksin one time and I ended up running into very narrow, shallow, rocky stretches and eventually I couldn't go any further. And I was in a small boat! Maybe with a canoe you could make it. But like I said, it has been about 20 years since I had tried that.

JimL
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't try to get to mohawksin from there, but was curious since on google maps it looks like they are connected.

Lucas lake
08-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Jim, maybe in a canoe or Kayak. You'll run into sandbars with anything less. A very nice trip until you get to shallow. Some of my favorite walleye spots are deep into this trip. Just look for the deeper holes on the outside bends of the river channels. I've also seen some very nice Muskies in the spring when the water is flowing good. Alot of small shallow bays for LM bass, Dogfish and Snake northerns. In the spring you can have some crazy days for crappies in these same areas. Give it a try but don't expect to go to far unless you have a Canoe or Kayak. Jim, give it a shot and heads up for stumps. Good luck and tight lines.