PDA

View Full Version : Musky Report

Jratthelake
08-08-2009, 11:21 PM
If you like fishing weeds fish the weeds and if you like fishing the rocks fish the rocks. Quality fish are being seen and caught on Rocks, weeds, and rock weed combos. A combination of baits are working well, from CowGirl style baits and suicks to TopRaiders and Jackpots, pick your poison and start throwing your favorite spots. The milder humid weather has brought up the water temps a couple of degrees and the fish are responding and coupled with afternoon clouds and scattered thunderstorms we are seeing very active fish at times. Its a good time to be on the water.

The Dave Brown group left this morning after a very successful trip with many nice Musky and a couple giant Pike. One particular member of the group, we will call him Musky Mark, caught his first Musky and a first of five muskys for the trip with the biggest being 49.5", nice job Musky Mark. And I want to thank Dave and Joe for the time we got to spend on the water, we saw some real nice fish together, I know Dave will be posting a report so I will let him tell some stories and I will post a bunch of pictures.

Today I had the pleasure of fishing with a couple of up and comming Musky nuts, Tyson and his younger brother Charlie who is 13 years old and is fully prepared for his first big fish. I fished the morning with Tyson, and Charlie fished with his dad, John. Charlie and John saw a nice fish and Tyson had a close encounter with a large fish on a large boulder flat, nipped the bait but no hooks.

For the afternoon we switched up and I was fishing with Charlie. We had seen 2 fish before we were driven in by a thunderstrm that lasted the afternoon. Long story short, the 3 of them went back to where Tyson had made contact with the large fish in the morning, they proceeded to boat the beautiful 51" Musky....more to come as Charlie and I will hit it hard tomorrow and make up for lost time today. Tyson's photo will be the last pic I post and he is wearing yellow rainpants, very nice fish, the rest are from the Dave's group.

Enjoy the photos, I have many more and will add them to this thread tomorrow sometime.

Jratthelake
08-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Here is Tyson's fish as it did not post the first time also a picture of another 50" fish caught by 2 young anglers we came across a couple of nights ago, we watched them deal with this fish with great care, the fish was only out of the water for 15 or 20 seconds, good job guys you are dialed in to what is important when handling such big fish....and the right tools help too.

Red Team Leader
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Wayne,

Nice Muskie report,

With the full moon having pasted last Thursday the 6th and the warming water temps over the week prior, the slue of fish we raised during the last week in July must have been very ready to eat.

It sounds like just that has happened with the numbers of fish and spread of presentations being successful.

Until this year I had spent the last 10 plus seasons at WBC during the first two weeks in August, due to family commitments I had to make my trip a week earlier and a week shorter.

I know we missed what I feel is the “Traditional Start” to summer Muskie season on LOTW’s when historically weed growth, water temps and moon phase align into a very predictable summer Muskie pattern.

You must be in Muskie nirvana my friend, keep the hooks sharp and the baits wet.

Congrats to Dave and his group and John and his two boys.

I have had the pleasure of talking Muskie strategy over the years with Team Duluth and have watched Johns boys grow to be great anglers and stewards of the fishery. Please give them my best and be sure to tell Tyson welcome to the 50” Club from Team Red.

Charlie yours is next, Keep up the hard work!

Keep the pic’s coming and give me a buzz soon,
RTL