PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my "new" boat on wednesday

jah1317
08-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey all, just gotta tell someone..... my wife could care less, I go to pick up an older 14.5' smokercraft on wednesday =-). I am psyched to have a boat that I can work out of! I don't know the year but I got it, the trailer, a "seized up" 9.9 evinrude, tank and fish finder for $500. My only stipulation was that I wanted a boat wider than anything I am fishing for..... I have to get the motor running no clue what that may cost but he said that it is nearly impossible to pull the cord on it any thoughts? I am thinking that by the time that I sell my 12 ft er and the trailer from underneath it I will be pretty close to what I paid for this one and I can take that $$ for repairs to the motor. Who knows and who cares I finally have a boat!

Jacob

allegheny river kid
08-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Congrats Jacob!!! You know the old sayin, and its held true, the definition of a boat is a "hole surronded by water that you throw money into
'.. Depending on the what your looking to spend on the motor repairs may be costly and time consuming. You may have to wait awhile this time of year to get it back depending on where you would take it. Never hurts to look around craigslist and ebay either. Usually some good deals on smaller motors on both of those websites. Good luck!!

toothyfishman
08-10-2009, 07:37 AM
One thing you could try with the motor is take out the plugs and spray a ton of PB blaster, or fill with oil and put the plugs back in and let it soak for a few days. Then try and break the motor free with a socket on the top of the motor flywheel. If it's the rings that are stuck it may break free.
You'll have to drain everything if you are lucky enough to break it free.
I freed up a riding mower once that way for a friend, it still runs now probably 3-4 seasons later.

If it was run outta oil or wrong mixture maybe you can get lucky and free it up? Worth a shot.

Or I think I would find a used one, probably cheaper than the repair.
Maybe you could get someone to look at it and tell you the repair cost ahead of time, then make the decision.

Lots of motors on Pennswoods, sometimes smaller ones.