PDA

View Full Version : Meat rigs

joefrisque
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I,ve never used meat rigs and have been thinking about experimenting with some. Of course their is a lot of questions when trying something new. Is it better to buy some from Rhys Davis, Capt John King, or Big Weenie Brand. Should a person just buy the complete meat rigs in Super Magnum whole bait rigs, magnum cut bait rigs, or just but the heads and put them behind a flasher? Also when buying the rigs is it better with the 2 ro 3 fly or the twinkie ( squid ) like attractors. Sounds like most meat rigs should be trolled within 20 feet from the bottom or is that just a general guide, as the fish don't have a rule book!!! I, also like to thank everyones input on this forum as it is a great tool to help put a few fish in the freezer!!!

Joe

The Bait Shop Guy
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
We just started handling the Big Water Tackle meat rigs this summer. The whole rig seems to be the most popular, (bait head with three flies in front.) I can't say I've had anyone ask for just the heads by themselves.

Most guys run them behind a flasher (mostly Spin Doctors up here,) off of their riggers or Dipsys. I've never heard about keeping them close to the bottom, but a number of people have told me they are best at slow speeds - 2mph or less.

DooFighter
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I got some decent answers on glangler.com, goto lets talk salmon fishing and look for the "help me run meat" thread, should be in the last week.

Capt. Sid
08-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I know everyone has their own preference. I have tried many different ones over the past few years. Howie's tackle, Big Water Tackle, Rye Davis. I have used Whole Herring, Herring Strips. For the past 2 years have been using Familiar Bite Whole Alewive with his bait heads which holds the bigger whole bait the best. I have been using the plain heads and rigging them with a teaser made from Howie Flies. I usually cut the Howie's back about 3/4inch and make them a little shorter. Familiar Bite offers some of the better bait that I have bought. Here is a picture of the one of the hogs from Tues. It was a dandy off the rigger down 95ft. I run these behind a Hot Spot 11" Blade. I have had better results than using the spin doctors. If you can only get your hands on a dreamweaver product go after the paddles they make that are similar to the hot spots. These seem to be more productive with meat than a Large Spin doctor or bechold. Run your leads of the flasher about 44-46" You are looking to get a nice slow roll out of your bait.

Good luck to all,

joefrisque
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the good ideas, and web info to look up, I'll start off with purchasing some pre rigged meat rigs, Sounds like Speed should start off just under 2 MPH, and experimenting with some different size flashers in order to obtain a slow roll for the meat rig. Leader length should obtain about a softball size gentle roll for the meat rig. Good fishing!!!

Joe

Capt. Sid
08-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to drop a post of this hog caught in Cedar River Saturday. It was a 11" Hot spot white flasher, three howie double aqua flies, 46" overall with a blue bait head from familiar bite. Bait used was a Green Label Whole Alewive. Hit rigger down 89ft over 110 FOW. What a fighter.

joefrisque
08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
NICE Fish Capt Sid.

Looks like he inhaled the rig as the hooks are not even visible, your rigs are pretty much custom made I was wondering how far up the first fly is from the head, and roughly how far up you put the second fly for best performance as you stated your leaders are around 45 inches. Thanks and good eating!!!!

Joe

No Fish Nick
08-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Good post guys, Nice fish Capt. Sid, I've been running herring for 4 years know and don't even bother with flies anymore. I only run Capt. John King or Big Weenie brand rigs and components. I never tried any other brands because these work so well I never felt a need to change.

Joe, I run about 14"-16" from the last twinky fly to the meat head. Plus if your fishing mid-day try taking the flasher off and just run the 2 or 3 fly rig on a full copper/core on tough bite days that seams to be the only rig that gets hit.

Nick