PDA

View Full Version : My little weeks up 'der report

djs
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
We were up for an entire week from Sat to Sat. the lask week of July. We were having tough times locating the fish due to the weather changing on a daily basis..... mostly on an hourly basis! you never knew if it was gonna rain, be windy.... and outa what direction, or sunny!
We had to really think and be creative in our thought process of locating fish. I could always go to my tried n true spots... but I always prefer to go out n find em on my own.
I caught a 42" northern in 13 ft. of water on a minnow n slow-fall jig. My biggest fish out of the flowage. I had no camera, but another boater near me had a bigger net... and saw me fighting, and lent a hand boating it. I released it in good shape for another day.
My son (7) and I spent every afternoon out there looking for the eyes. We mostly found them near shore... 20-30ft from it, in 2-6ft of water. The rockier and stumpier the better. We lost lots of jigs, but we managed to limit just about every day. He caught a nice 17" smally on a rock pile in 3ft of water. He was reeling it in and it went under the rocks... I thought it was gone cause he was snagged. (He was using a silver and black rapala this day) I took the pole to get the lure out... I could see the lure, and all of a sudden it just took off! Fish was still there... we landed it shortly after that. He was VERY happy with that catch. I normally release a fish like that... but you can't say that to a 7 year old!!! At least not his first big one all week....
I caught at least 5-6 eye's that were over the 17" mark... all in the shallows where... IMO the baitfish had got pushed up to. We were using both crawlers and minnows... and both were producing on an equal basis.
I went out to the deep water lakes a few times to see if anything would bite. I situated myself outside the boat landing, and spotted tons of deep water fish, but they would not bite for nuttin. I have landed a few really big eyes out there... so figured I would try it once or twice.
Moose sighting at 4 mile creek entrance!! I thought it was a deer at first... but it was in the water....lol. Awesome... just awesome through the bino's.

Sooo, all in all... another great week out on the flowage!!!