PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Abu

knife2sharp
08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
What causes a baitcast reel to start screaming after time? I have a 6600 C5 Mag that when it heats up it screams when I cast. It doesn't make a peep for several minutes then starts screaming. All the gears are lubricated, but one theory I have is the outer lips of the spool are worn, meaning some of the gold color has been rubbed off, so the spool is somewhat looser front to back then side to side. I use this reel on a St. Croix rod for casting relatively light to mid-weight bucktails. Sometimes when I cast a more aerodynamic plug that's a couple ounces, it doesn't scream. Any thoughts? I figured with all the fishing the guides do there at AML, that they've had to encountered this before, or witnessed someone who has. Maybe I'm missing something when lubricating the reel.

I should add, for those that don't know, that this reel also has a magnetic break, besides the break control knob.

BTW, tried posting on Musky Hunter, but my credentials no longer work and getting network errors, when I tried having password sent. You can welcome me, but I've been on both boards in the past. Just wanted to let you know I wasn't a newbie to the forum.

tuffybones
08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I could be wrong but it sounds like its a bearing noise. I'd remove the side plates and lube up the bearing/bearings.

familyguy
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
If you go to www.abugarcia.com , they have detailed diagrams on where and what to oil and grease. They also have a troubleshooting guide that may help you out.