PDA

View Full Version : Aug.3rd Report

CaptainKenLee
08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Today's trip was with long time client Dale DeWildt from Appleton Wisconsin. We've been pretty fortunate the last several times out to have good days on the water and limits each time...today our streak came to an end! We headed out on the water around 6:30 a.m. and immediately got into the fish while drifting with floating jig head and crawler halves, but the majority of the fish were undersized. We landed at least 40 fish doing this as well as some pitching jigs too, but that got old and we headed to the north end of the bay to troll Walleyes Choice (http://www.walleyeschoice.com) harnesses. Again, we immediately got into lots of fish, but the majority of them were on the small side. We ended up with only 5 keeper walleyes a few perch and a pike that I took home for dinner. There was a huge mayfly hatch last night at Gladstone, they were all over the launch this morning when we left. Good luck from all of us in the Bay de Noc area.

lilnoc
08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
You had mentioned that you observed a large may fly hatch at the launch yesterday. I will be coming in next Monday and it concerns me that there are even any signs of them still. From my experience in the past this is extremely late for "MAY" fly's. My question for you is, when did the current hatch start this year.

Kevin Lee
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I would not be surprised if we see Mayfly hatches off and on clear into September. The water has not warmed up enough or for a long enough period of time yet this year for all of them to have finished hatching. So everytime we get a slight warm-up, there is another hatch. I would not be concerned about them though. The walleye may eat them, but they also digest them as fast as they eat them. We have never seen the Mayflies kill the bite. Now Alewives, that's another story...