PDA

View Full Version : Oh What a Night!

St Clair Hound
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Last evening my brother in law called me and asked if I would take his in laws and him fishing. His in laws were visiting from Northern Quebec. We agreed to meet at Deerbrook Marina and head out for a couple hours of Muskie fishing.
It couldn't have been a better evening. Lake St Clair was like a mirror and I had a feeling the fishing was going to be hot. Its been my first time out in about 3 weeks as I had to have my lower unit rebuilt. Anyway we got out on the water about about 6 pm and got set up . There were five of us and we ran an 8 rod spread , 2 downs, 2 wash and 4 board rods. Well It wasn't long when the first starboard inside board rod went off. Jerome (visitor) was first up and landed a low to mid 40's fish on a special perch woodie. We no sooner got the rod reset when it went off a second time. Sylvie (visitor) was next up and we knew right away this was a bigger fish as it did not want to quit taking line. When I looked at the counter when I handed it to Sylvie it was at 211'. She battled this beast to the boat screamin and hollerin all the way, and I was laughin my a$$ off. It ended up being a mid to high 40's fish. Quick pics and released. We then landed 2 fat little juvies, low 30's that thought they were 55's. We then lost 2 more , that we never saw but seemed like they were decent fish. We had now gone 4 for 6 by 7:15.
However the Muskie Gods saved the best show for last. The 4 of us were standing looking at the starboard planer board and I was explaining to the visitors how the board system worked. Now I have fished muskies for a lot of years and I have seen a lot of weird things, but this was the best show I have ever seen. While we were doing this , a large muskie came out of the water , from under the starboard board, with the crossbar of the board in his mouth, shook it side to side and threw it toward the boat, about 5 to 10'. We were just in awe. Before I could get my jaw off the floor of boat I realized very quickly there was a problem, the board had landed upside down , it quickly rolled and righted itself but now the lines were tangled in the clips. I immediatley grabbed the inside rod and started to bring it in , when all of a sudden something big grabbed the out side rod. I immediately handed the inside rod to Jerome and grabbed the outside. However I quickly realized this was going to be a problem. Not only was the line tangled in the clip and would not release, the clip was also twisted in the board line and it would not slide up or down. I now was battling a board and a decent size muskie. I cannot say if it was the same fish the attacked the board but it was a decent size . Before we could start to bring the board in the fish made a run and snapped the line at the clip. Oh well $hit happens but it was worth the show. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Mark Steinert
07-30-2009, 04:50 AM
Congats on the great night. Wish you could have gotten that on video. We could have watched that over and over. Great to here you are up and running again Bruce. Save some fatties for us.
Mark.