PDA

View Full Version : Weight question

petey
07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm one who tries to go with the lightest weight with which I can still feel the bottom - jigging, lindy rigs. But, when trolling bottom bouncers and a live bait rig to find active walleyes I need a little advice. I'll troll 1.5-2.0 mph with a 1 oz. bottom bouncer. I'm not sure if i'm on the bottom or not. I've gotten a few fish, but perhaps I should be getting more. Is there a rule thumb as to how heavy of a bouncer is right for given conditions?

Thanks, Petey

Murph!
07-27-2009, 02:43 PM
The conditions and depth you are fishing determines the weight you should use. 1 oz. weights should work unless you are fishing deep water and or big wind. You really do not want the device on the bottom. I let out line till I hit bottom, evident by some slack in the line. I do this while the boat is still. Start trolling, the line will become taunt, you should be able to hit bottom by leaning towards the bait and again the line will slacken a bit if you are on the bottom. Let out more line if you can't reach the bottom. You should have a 45 degree angle to the water as you troll, if you don't reel in some line. Sounds confusing but give it a try.