PDA

View Full Version : T.F.F. Update

Don Pemble
07-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Walleye action last Thursday was not to be found. My client and I worked various structures and depths for two hours and never had a bite. We then switched over to lighter tackle, 16th ounce Reeves weedless jigs tipped with a small piece of crawler and worked 6 different cribs for whatever we could pick up. All we could managed out of these cribs was 10 keeper bluegills along with a few throwbacks. Big surprise when I cleaned these gills and found 2 females that were still full of spawn.

Yesterdays trip was much more successfull as my 2 clients and I were on the walleye right from the start. With a decent NW wind blowing, we anchored in 6 feet of water and worked a shallow, 3 foot shelf with Reeves weedless jigs tipped with half crawlers and boated 5 real nice eyes on our first stop. Moving on, things got a little tougher and we really had to work for them, it was one here and one there. We managed our limits along with 3 throwbacks, all from 6 feet of water or less.

Back out today, will keep you posted.

Nick Kanauz
08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Don-
A couple of the Hayward area guides are reporting that the gills are coming back up on the beds again. Could be the answer to your gills.
Best fishes,
Nick
<><

john brennan
08-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Don,

I have never lost so many jigs since I switched to the Reves jigs. I have filled the flowage with these. The only good thing I find is that there is no paint in the eye hole. Do you ever use the bottom bouncers?

Don Pemble
08-04-2009, 05:59 AM
John,

Are you dragging your jig the way you would use a bottom bouncer or are you jigging and retrieving at the same time? If I remember right, bottom bouncers are used when trolling. When trolling was allowed up here, I did try bottom bouncers and lost just about everyone of them that I used. Weedless jigs of all types work well in the weeds, don't know of any that are woodless or rockless when drqgging them thru that kind of a jungle. I've lost countless weedless jigs of all brands during my years on the water, but I've found that if you back up your boat and get behind the stump or rock where you are caught up that you will get a good number of them back, just like retrieving a stuck anchor.