PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report July 17th-23rd

Esox Edge
07-25-2009, 12:05 PM
We arrived at camp, 24th year in a row, Friday the 17th with water temps in the low 60's after a week of wind and cold. Started off the trip with a 38" pike, weed related on a Lucky 7 spinnerbait.
Saturday was high skies and too blue, few musky follows, both weeds and rock. Sunday high skies again, decided to probe the slop weeds for muskies in the afternoon. My dad hooked into his biggest musky to date, a 45" beauty. 40 minutes later he broke his big fish record with a 47" tank. We also had several follows and one mid 40" fish lost in the thick weeds. Both fish caught on black and brass Lucky 7 by Esox Edge. Sunday eve. the activity continued with developing clouds and I caught a 43" fish.
We lost count, but I would guess we raised 15 muskies over 40" that day. All but 2 in weeds. The most aggressive fish definitely in the slop.
Monday, steady weather and warming water. Picked up a 39" pike, lost a 50" class fish on a figure 8, hooks pulled out on first run.
Tuesday, caught a 46 1/2" Musky on a figure 8 using a chartreuse and black Lucky 7. Raised many fish with several following figure 8 aggressively, almost all weed related.
Wednesday, great walleye morning, thanks to Dick, water temps increasing and weather steady. Seeing alot of the same fish in locations, not ready to bite. 2 fish over 40" lost in our group that day.
Thursday. Clouds, rain, humid, thunderstorms building, no where else in the world better to be than LOTW. Water temps into the 70's. Picked up a 45", 44", 40", all weed related on Esox Edge Hawghookers and Lucky 7's. My father lost a beautiful dark barred, possibly a tiger, about 45" in the thick slop. We also raised about 15 fish over 40". Losing 3 total in the slop that day. 2 or 3 of the raised fish pushed the 50" mark.
Overall a wonderful trip for 3 generations to enjoy at Witch Bay. 7 Muskies over 40" and two big healthy pike.
Kevin Mittelsteadt

Jratthelake
07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Great report Kevin and great trip for you guys, here are the photos to go along with your report.