PDA

View Full Version : reel repair

noURsnagged
07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I have a abu garcia 6500 C4 . the line guide that moves from side to side while casting and reeling keeps stopping on the far riight side . With a lil nudge it kicks back into gear , but stops at the same spot everytime .. ANY IDEAS????

Gary Brady
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Odds are the worm gear has a bad spot in it. I usually ship my ABU's in to the factory and they fix them very quick and usually rebuild the drag system while they have them. Look online because you may have a local dealer who can repair it very easily.

releaseher
07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
i couldn't believe what i was reading here. as of sunday, i now have the exact issue with my c4--getting buckled on the far right-hand side. it has to do with the worm gear for sure. i can see a blunt edge in there, all of the other points or edges are sharp and defined. i am sending mine back to ABU GARCIA and crossing my fingers for a quick fix...when i start taking reels apart i become cross-eyed quickly

JohnN
07-22-2009, 04:54 PM
The pawl is usually the part that wears out. You can avoid future problems by keeping the groove that holds the line guide in place clean. Use a toothbrush with a little oil on it to clean that groove and the worm gear every so often -- you'll be good to go. In the mean time, you probably need a new pawl and maybe even a new worm gear. Like Gary said, the factory does a great job of fixing them.

downbar
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Take it to Jenk's Bait & Tackle, i had the same problem with mine, he had it fixed in 5 minutes.

boogerb2
07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
I recently had the same thing happen to me. Got a new pawl and worm gear on ebay for like $10. It was a little tricky replacing it, but it was actually kind of fun. I'm sure it was quite a bit cheaper than taking it to a reel repair place and it also gives you an appreciation for the engineering in these things. I suggest you just try it!

Booger

Snizz
07-23-2009, 12:39 AM
If you are up on the Chip and your garcia breaks down...go to Jenks bait and tackle...that guy is a "reel" wizard...GET IT!

No, but seriously...he totally kicks ass at fixing garcia's...

jkahler
07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
It's the pawl. I had the same thing happen to the same reel. Take it to Jenk's, that guy is awesome, and very reasonable in pricing!

Lund4Fishing
07-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I live in Illinois and have sent my reels to Dave's Reel Service. They have done good by me, and return them quickly.

www.davesreelservice.com
Mark Anderson
847-549-7170

Ty Sennett
07-24-2009, 01:06 PM
"Reel" wizard...........oh my gosh Snizz that is a knee slapper:rolleyes:

Come on Sizz, you are better than that. We've come to expect more from you.

Cold Front
07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I recently had the same thing happen to me. Got a new pawl and worm gear on ebay for like $10. It was a little tricky replacing it, but it was actually kind of fun. I'm sure it was quite a bit cheaper than taking it to a reel repair place and it also gives you an appreciation for the engineering in these things. I suggest you just try it!

Booger

I just had two fixed at Jenk's this spring, the one that needed parts was $5.00 and the one that just needed a clean and grease was $4.00. Last year he put a new pawl and worm gear in one of my other reels and charged me $7.00. For those kind of prices I'm really not interested in the engineering in these things, although I do appreciate it every time I boat a fish.

Ty Sennett
07-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Good point Cold Front.