PDA

View Full Version : 7/22 RFRG Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
07-22-2009, 08:29 AM

We're looking at good steady results even with lower than normal water temps, yesterday I was getting 66 to 68 degree water temps throughout the ER Chain. I believe this is helping our fishing results for July when usually water temps are much higher and we're splitting full day outings into early am and pm trips. Cooler than normal weather has kept fishing for all species pretty consistant all day long.

Crappies have been a good action fish in the 6-8ft weeds when using a slip-bobber and small minnow. Set your bait about 3ft under the bobber and fish all around the boat as it seems they're just cruising the thick weed clumps.

The muskie fishing has been nice and steady... as reported earlier, bucktails run fairly fast through and over weeds is producing a lot of fish. Early and late in the day you'll find me using a surface bait, it's just a lot of fun and most of my own fish lately have been caught in the evening with surface baits. A mention should go to spinner baits... another good choice now, especially when working thick weeds, run them fast, just under the surface, right through the thicker weeds. Running these baits faster over the weeds seems to provoke reaction strikes rather than follows to the boat.

Couple days of overcast weather is predicted and should keep action going on all species. I've been picking up a mixed bag of fish while muskie fishing, from bass to pike, you should do fairly well if actually targeting any of these fish as well.

Get out there on the water, do some fishing with family/friends... it'll be a hoot! Good luck and good fishing...

6050... and as this photo shows, it's never too early to start working with young ones and their fishing/boating skills. It seems my grand-daughter thought the wheel of the Mary Celeste made for an excellent teething ring this day... what a sweetie, it was hilarious...