PDA

View Full Version : Big Perch

Russ
07-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Where is a good spot to take a kid to catch big perch? Are there goverment/public docks that you can fish off of? What do you use for bait? Will the perch be wormy this time of year? Thanks for any info.

Blue Lake
07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Russ,

I have only targeted perch twice in the 22 years of fishing Eagle because my father wanted to take some back home when I brought him up with me. From what I have experienced is that there are 2 bays that seem to have decent sized perch Bottle Bay off of Portage bay and Eldorado bay in the southern part of eagle being the other. Eldorado bay seemed to be the best.

Fish in 8 to 10 feet of water with leach and slip bobber set at 5 to 7 feet seemed to work best with plain hook or jig head. Don't be afraid to move around and test different depths.

I am not sure about fishing off of docks for perch as I have never tried that, maybe Steve/others maybe able to answer that. I do know that people catch Northern off of the Gov. dock in Vermilion. As far as worms go I have only found them in a couple that I had caught.

Triggerfinger
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Speaking of Bottle Bay, I've heard about the Perch there too. Can you get to Bottle Bay Lake via boat or does it require portaging?

mmerkle
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Look at the map, please, eh?

Triggerfinger
08-03-2009, 10:48 PM
mmerkle-

I've looked at the map, and there is water (possibly a creek or channel?) connecting it to the bay. I'm asking if it's navigable. Any help would be appreciated.

Blue Lake
08-05-2009, 04:48 AM
TF,

I have never gone up to Bottle bay lake, just the bay itself off of Portage Bay. While in the bay I have seen smaller craft go up the creek. I am assuming that you can navigate it during normal or high water times. I don't think I would try my 17ft Lund though.