PDA

View Full Version : Cedar River weekend

DooFighter
07-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Have not fished an evening this w/e. Sat am dawn patrol went 5/7, nothing too big, 13 biggest, fish hitting best early on everything (riggers, dipsys and core).

Today we went 7/11 with bigger fish, one shaker, 2 9's and 4 between 12-16, again early was best and a mixed bite on almost every rod at sometime. Flounder pounder was probably best today (surprise!) on a rigger.

Will hit it in the am again tomorrow, hope to hit double digits.

Double Tap
07-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Fished Sunday evening out of Cedar from mostly in 65' but also tried out to 80 and in to 40. Not a bite on anything. Radio was quiet so no one must have been having much luck. Did speak with one person at the dock coming in who managed two. Nice weather with calm conditions. Hope it improves again by next weekend.

The Bait Shop Guy
07-19-2009, 11:13 PM
You couldn't have asked for a much nicer evening. We fished S.E of the river mouth. Pretty much had it all to ourselves - looked like a parade heading out to Whale Back, though! Fished in 60 to 80 FOW. Lots of bait, but not much action. Went 2 for 3. One shaker on a black/green Pro King on a "cheater" line. Who knows where it was at? Lost one that hit a mag Green Dolphin on a rigger set at 60 feet. Last one (about 10 pounds,) hit a Moonshine Moody Blue on a full core.

DooFighter
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Monday was better, 10/12. Water was beautiful. Few rigger bites early on flounder pounder and crabface, then the freakin copper that my buddy Gary brought was the bread and butter for 6 fish in a row on a spoon called bluetail. Holy wah, now I gotta get a copper rig. Finished up our limit with two braided dipsy hits on a blue dolphin spin doctor with an aqua/white fly.

I've seen copper catch fish before, but, man, it was dominating that mid morning bite turning a mediocre trip into a real nice catch. I think the biggest fish came on the copper also, 17#. I tried everything on the 10 color lead while the copper was cookin and could not buy a strike, which is weird. Every other trip this year the core has caught at least one fish, usually more.

Apparently copper not only catches fish, but prevents other rigs from catching fish! LOL