PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen carp spawning yet?

stick500
07-18-2009, 06:32 AM
wondering if places like Tenny Lake and the lakes in the zoo area have spawning carp yet? the DNR told me it would be legal to pole spear 'em if I wanted to, but I imagine I would get some funny looks from all the people around:)

rk_diver
07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I thought the carp spawn was over by now, but haven't paid too much attention to their habits and such. The DNR is correct, you can spear carp legally, but within the city of Madison boundries you may be looking at some legal problems. I know you can't legally discharge a bow within the corporate limits of the city of Madison, but people "get away" with it because the city doesn't have a boat patrol anymore, so they'd have to have the wardens or Sheriff's MATE team come in and make the contact. The problem with this is if a ticket is written it's a city of Madison case, and the support by the wardens or DCSO staff wouldn't generate any money for those agencies (assuming no other violations occured). If the case went to court then the other agencies would probably be required to be present since they made the initial contact. So there'd be money spent out by these agencies, with nothing coming in. If you're wading or shooting from shore you'd be more likely to be approached by an officer (note this also applies to the city of Monona and I guessing McFarland and Middleton). Other issues would be the disposal of the carp shot. People will complain if there's a bunch of dead, rotting, stinky carp laying around the lagoon (or their shorelines). But I regress...as far as legally spearing carp in the city boundries, I'm not sure of the ordinances on this. I can definitely say though that even if it's legal to do so, having a spear can cause other legal problems. I remember during Halloween one year a guy had a Trident as part of his costume and the police confiscated it (some people might be threatened by it). You could be written up for disturbing the peace for example. Remember the case of a guy having a pistol strapped on while doing yard work. The police were called about it and the person was ticketed and the gun confiscated. After all the trials it was decided the guy had the right to have a gun, but I'm sure it cost him a pretty penny and a lot of headaches to prove his point. Rick

stick500
07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
thanks for all the tips Rick. Yeh, it seems I've missed the spawn by now, but there will be some "carp excitement" down my way soon. They are doing a partial drawdown of the Bellville Lake which is mostly filled with giant carp. They say they want to get rid of a bunch of the carp while it's shallow. I'm waiting to hear exactly what day they start in Aug.

As for spearing in the Madison lakes, maybe I'll take my chances next year, during a weekday! F anyone who doesn't like it!:) (I don't leave dead fish on shore).