PDA

View Full Version : Tipping a Guide

moatsy
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I have sent a few new people to AML this year and I have pimped the guides in a big way. AML has some of the best guides I have ever fished with so why wouldn't I? The question has come up twice now about how much to tip a guide so I thought I would share my opinion and experiences and then you guys can add yours too.

A guide works hard to get you on fish. A guide realizes your individual skill level and more than likely begins to teach what you lack in order to be successful. If there are certain things you would like to learn, let them know. They will take some extra time to teach you new things.

I don't always measure a guide by the amount of fish we put in the net. Remember the guide is providing a boat and a very specific service. There is nothing certain about muskies and catching one is not a given, ever! The guide provides a good knowledge of the water, structure and conditions that effect fishing. Most guides make boat control look easy, it's not! How about lures, colors, speed and all those little things that make the difference.

If a guide puts you on a trophy class fish, you should tip accordingly. Personal best fish or first time fish, same thing. If a guide has to spend a lot of time with your kid (back lashes, how to load the rod etc.) and your kid lands a nice fish, same thing tip them well. If you are a beginner and you now cast twice as far and can finally figure 8 because of them-tip em!

Repeat business is always another way to say thank you. Most work off referrals and repeat guests.

Now if the guide has an attitude problem that's a different story. If you get into a fistfight with the guide but he let's you win, tip accordingly. Usually the guides are the toughest guys on the water, even the short ones (no names) :)

The biggest question, how much? What do you do at restaurants when the service is good or very good? 10-20% maybe??? The only thing is, you have to figure in amazing- if you feel amazing when you get back to the dock, tip amazing! My buddies and I split the tipping but when we have boated our personal best, we have put in 30-50% on top of our partners' shares.

This is how we do it! Most people won't discuss tip details but I have no problem with it. Some can do more, some can't do as much. One guy told me he didn't know to tip a guide after he was put on a 50" Wisconsin fish. I vomited on him! The message here: it is appropriate to tip the guide!

See you guys during Spanky Week Aug 15th

Moatsy

Steve Herbeck
07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
simple, they always try thier best to put fish in the boat regardless of species ,they do not expect but do appreciate anything.it is a long winter here and all ahve families and bills and it is apert of thier income as in most service related fields.
some of my best tips over the last 20 yrs have come on the toughest fishing days some even not boating a fish because of the effort put out to make it happen.
i hate goiing someplace and the tip is incl or mandatory,it is an individual choice and always appreicated for the entire staff whether it's guides,housekeeping or docks and i feel we have some of the best around who will go the extra mile to take of our guests.most have been here 10+years and You'd think they owned the place and have tremendous pride in what they do.

DanR
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I would say 15-25%...in that range. I also agree it's not whether you catch a fish. Rather, did you learn something, or even just have an enjoyable day? If so, then tip. It is a service.

Like Herbie says, it's not "expected". However, back in college when I delivered pizzas in Summer and caddied at the Country Club, I "lived" off tips. When you tip a guide at AML, which btw are the best guides I've ever fished with, you can see it is genuinely appreciated. That in turn makes me feel good seeing that they appreciate it and that it makes a difference to them. These guys take great pride in their work. So it's a win-win situation, where everybody feels good!

-Dan

Cranman
07-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Love the comments below but nobody has mentioned dollars..only percentages which probably dont mean alot to most viewers if they dont know what a guide/day costs...
As Herbie knows, we are yearly visitors to AML including this spring...crappy weather but we caught at least 1000 fish amongst 3 of us....majority northern pike...and some trophies!!!

We typically tip $60-100 per day...3 guys in the boat, all good fisherman...if shore lunch, then on the higher side or if we are with Darcy into Wilderness...little more work if you have been on that drive...
We think it is fair...no complaints from the guides...we usually enjoy a cocktail or two at Cabin Cran...usually Cabin 2, except for this year...right Herbie....lol...
As well, we usually have 2 remote lakes via plane, Wilderness Air...dont foget to tip them...we usually tip $20 one-way...always appreciated...think fair but welcome comments...

John K
07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Here's the way I look at it. What's it worth to have a guide take you out, put you on the fish and bring you home safe every evening? Not just you but your buddies, your dad, your sons. There have been some days in the fall when it was the "Deadliest Catch" out there and the boys always got me home safe. That's worth a lot. M1st just had a thread about two guys that lost their lives on a windy day recently on Vermilion. Think about that when you're not sure if you should throw in the "little extra".

John in KS