PDA

View Full Version : slow bites dryspell

noobfisherman
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Recently Ive been having not bites or slow bites fishing the shores of Monona and Mendota all times of day. I dont know if its the crazy weather we have going on or what. Maybe its my presentation. but man I could use a refresher on what it was like to catch fish.

Bobberdown
07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Bullhead are biting in Patrick Marsh. Mostly dinks though :)

noobfisherman
07-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I believe that there is a lot of fishing pressure lately. I was out this morning July 17 2009, at Tenny, The Triangle, the Wingra lilly pads, and Wingra Creek.
Throwing live bait, (bottom huggin earthworms with 2 split shot sinkers.)
Also Throwing Sinkos at Tenny, The Triangle, and Wingra Creek.
At Wingra Lilly pads, threw out "the frog"
at Wingra creek, the triangle threw out twisty tail grubs (white and a black one.)

On July 10th was at Tenny breakwall fishing for cat. Used sonnys stink bait, something to try out and see how it went. (I think that stuff rusts hooks) and I was throwing cut bait I got from an oldtimer near by, went off to woodmans to get liver (an old missouri favorite) and nothing.

nothing was hitting at all. left those places with the same origional worm.

Also another theory is Im having is This crazy weather pattern going on. I was talking with family back in Missouri and they were saying were in a pattern for another el nino, or el pinta something like that.

In the spring it was not uncommon for me to catch bass and good sized ones. I was fortunate at times to ride along with a couple on the Wednesday night bass leagues to let me learn a few things. but after the lay off I was resorted to sticking to the shore.

and finally my other theory, is possibly my technique. Id love to be able to shadow with someone to correct what I do wrong and the like.

This evening if weather and gas permits it. Ill be going to the damn at sauk.

The rods I use is
Ugly Stick with closedfaced spinning reel 10lb test line (red cajun line)
9ft ML with spinning reel 8lb test line
6 ft L with spinning reel 10lb test line (red cajun line)

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Michael

stick500
07-18-2009, 06:08 AM
it's the weather- even the carp and bullheads weren't biting at my usual spots Thurs. nite- however, I took 5 minutes to try to try for a trout just down the road in New Glarus yesterday and caught a huge rainbow at the first hole I went to!

Bobberdown
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm in no position to hand out advice but your line sounds heavy to me. 6 LB test is good enough for most worm eaters. Cats (and sturgeon) would be the exception. I would rather use fireline or a super braid for those though. July is always slow in my opinion. Nights may be better.