PDA

View Full Version : Diawa Saltist Reels????

BBushy
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anybody has used a Diawa Saltist reel and what are your opinions about them as my Penn went down and needs repairs and I
can't sit around for 4 weeks and wait.

bnelson
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Saltist's are a good reel for the money....I would suggest the 30 size w/ levelwind...the 40's are even a touch bigger than a Trinidad 16n..too big, had one, got rid of the 40 size and got a 30 size...imo the Trinidad is still a better reel but they are 2 x the $$$. I keep the 30 size saltist for a backup in case the trinidad goes down...Penns are a good slow to medium speed retrieve for 10s but if you want to burn them during the day get the Saltist...
30 size w/ levelwind...spool it to a little more than 3/4 full...it is best if you have it spooled to bring in about 32-34" per crank...do not fill it..you will wear yourself out....

Kevin Cochran
07-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I bought two 30's for my clients this year. I haven't used them yet but I trust Nelson's advice. We just haven't had warm enough water temps to burn in bucktails. I am looking forward to using them soon though.

BBushy
07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Well I went and ordered Saltist Reel 20 and Had it buy friday and used it
alittle bit this weekend and so far I''m very impressed with it. Almost had a
muskie on this weekend with it but as usual with surface plug it missed it.

Travisah
07-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Kev/or anybody who may know... I have 2 penn reels and the other morning when I got out on the water for a tourney both reels acted like the drag was all the way loose with the slightest resistance even with it all cranked down. Luckily I had a couple of backup and was able to fish... I was going to stop by the local Cabela's on the way home to return them but before I did I tried them again and they worked fine and have since???

The only thing I can think may have caused it was that it was about 40 degrees that morning or about 2-3weeks prior I had taken both a part and greased them.

Anybody have any ideas???

Still not on the board in WA... Had 1 mid 40's blow up on a bling 12 black/black and I have seen atleast a couple of hundred fish (the water is super clear on every lake) however very little interest...

Later,
T