PDA

View Full Version : Kinkaid in Sept.

SEMOmike
07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Guys,

I'm looking to hit Kinkaid in Sept after the water cools a little to chase the muskie. I am very new to muskie fishing and am wondering what types of lures I should pick-up to have a reasonable chance at some fish. Not looking for any hotspots or anything, just a little guidance as to what to use and maybe what the fish will be relating to as far as structure/water depth.

Thanks,

Mike

LarryO
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Keep it simple. Mid September to mid October all you really need is a bucktail (Llungen Tail, Shumway Flasher, Buchertail)and maybe a shallow running minnow bait (7 1/2" Grandma, Crane 207) and you'll do fine. Keep casting around the milfoil. You can also use a walk the dog topwater, like a Doc right before dark.

SEMOmike
07-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks Larry!

Isn't fall the best time to catch big fish?

tiredog
07-17-2009, 11:17 AM
You Can Catch The Heaviest Of The Year In The Fall.do Your Self A Favor And Dont Buy A Bunch Of The Big Muskie Baits If Your Going To Cast. Those Big Blades And Heavy Lures Become No Fun Real Quick If Your Casting.save Those Baits For Trolling, If You Going To Cast , Get Some Bigger Bass Baits. Work The Weed Edges And You Can Catch Bout Anything , Including A Big Ol Muskie

SEMOmike
07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
I appreciate the info. I have picked up a few Llungren bucktails from BPS, a large bucktail topwater prop bait, and a big Rapala glide bait. Was thinking I might head out and give them a try with the present cold weather I figure the water temp has dropped enough to fire them up a little and maybe the pleasure boaters aren't out as bad as a normal weekend.

What big bass lures would you recommend. I have a couple Spooks.

Thanks for the info.

tiredog
07-18-2009, 11:51 PM
the bucktails are good but i enjoy no larger than the size 7 blades. I know the talk of big blades and moving waterbut ive caught a 48 incher on a little taildancer. right spot , right time, they hit anything. However those topwaters are deadly at dawn and dusk in the weedbeds. heres the secret they dont talk of, the muskie like open slots to get back in the weeds, throw ur topwater in those slots. Heavy weeds are to hard for them to stalk in, they like an opening to get them inside. when they leave deeper water for the evening feed, points are a favorite entry to shallow water, ur regular bass plugs work then.Just dont overburden your bass lure with a heavy muskie leader. Be sure you have a long pair of needlenose pliers and a big net, you need them if you hook one good luck