PDA

View Full Version : Want To Get Kids Interested In Fishing?

Pete Stoltman
07-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Many of us OLD people moan about kids these days and how all they want to do is text message their BFF, play with Ipods, or sit in front of a computer all day. Well, if you want to get the little folk interested in the outdoors and fishing NOW is the time! These mid summer days are absolute winners for getting the youngsters involved in the sport. Keep it simple. I've found kids have a ball fishing off a dock or in a boat just hooking small fish. As long as something is tugging on the line, they're happy. I usually set the kiddies up with a short rod and a decent quality push-button type spincast reel. Leave the Barbie and Sponge-Bob rigs at Wally World and invest $20 in a set-up that will actually work and handle the occasional bigger fish that will inevitably happen. A bobber rigged a foot or two above a plain hook or small jig with a waxworm or piece of nightcrawler is all you need. Bring plenty of bait because the small bluegills and perch are absolute felons when it comes to stealing bait. This time of year just fishing off a dock is a good bet as the fish use the piers for cover. If you're in a boat, position yourself near this type of cover or a downed tree or nice clump of weeds in shallow water and you should find some fast action. Don't worry too much about fishing yourself if the child is young and needs a lot of help. Remember we're trying to get them interested in fishing. We already know you are! Don't get flustered when flubs and goof-ups happen. It's just part of the deal and a little patience goes a long way. Keep your time span short and when it becomes obvious that the child has had enough or is losing attention it's time for a break or call it a day. Very small kids might hang in there for an hour or so before they start chasing frogs or picking dandelions. When they get about 7 or 8 they may be good for a four hour trip as long as the action holds up. Remember that kids will need some breaks no matter how quick the fish are biting so a couple snacks and drinks are a must have on a kid outing. Be sure to have appropriate clothing with you in case of inclement weather coming in or a cool period. Sunscreen, caps, and bug repellant are also on my list of things to be sure to have along. Of course, you will want to have a camera with to capture the fun. Most of all, have a good time and try as much as you can to be a buddy more than an "instructor". Kids will pick up a lot by observation and encouragement more than they do from trying to give them "fishing lessons". By all means take advantage of these balmy summer days to introduce a youngster to this great sport. You just may have found your best fishing buddy ever!

Sid Chigger
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Peter,

I agree 100% - we OLD folks do need to share our "hobby" with kids as much as we can.. Noble sentiment, sir!

On a semi related note, what the H e double L were you doing up at 239am to post that message? Reliving your youth, were ya? LOLOL

See ya in a few days buddy! :-)

Steve

Pete Stoltman
07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the nice words Sid and frankly I guess the late hour stuff is a result of many years of late night music sessions. I'm a night owl and can't seem to break out of that mode. Maybe I'm afraid that something cool is going to happen while I'm asleep. As Warren Zevon said "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead".

Mark Benson
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Better words than "Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!!!". Got to love the night owl in all of us. Just wish I could find that job where I could enjoy a leisurely morning before going to work.

Mark

Musky Chuck
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Very well said Pete. The youth are the future of our sport. I have 2 boys (ages 6 and 3) and they love dock fishing. Bring along alot of snacks. My 3 year old loves to play with worms and sometimes I get an extra dozen crappie minnows in a seperate bucket just for him to goof around with. I let them dictate how long we fish and when they are done we go. I am an old musky fisherman, but I could catch and help my boys catch little panfish all day long.

Spaskie
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey Pete,

Great post! Could never had said it better myself. I'll be up in August and will look to get my .2.75 yr. old out to enjoy some rod bending action. No two things better for a little guy than digging in dirt and fishing!

Joe