PDA

View Full Version : Best Month for Muskies on Chip

ericde
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I've been going to the chip for a week or two every year for about 15 years now. We usually always go in early July. Out of curiosity, is there a "best month" for musky fishing? Also, how does August compare to July?

Curious as to what Ty thinks, as well as anyone else who wants to chime in.

Thanks

Snizz
07-13-2009, 12:55 PM
late august and early Sept is the best IMO!

RobertTB
07-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I believe the statistics would indicate that August is the most fish month. I speculate that most fishing people fish the most in August, thus lots of catches.

Snizz is right..late Aug, early Sept. I prefer the latter part of Aug, but I am stuck with the last part of July/first of August. I can't say as I personally think that is the best time, but it's what I have. Now, mine is simply my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree, maybe I outta' do more night fishing.

I would think the action SHOULD be fairly even all thru the summer months as the food chain is hitting on all cylinders. It's just getting a handle on the correct pattern for the time frame, I reckon. I suppose the big fish get cranked up in the fall, that's what the old time thinking is. Still, Rachel lost a big one a couple weeks back, so...they hit. Must be a matter of right place/right time. Y'know ?

Good luck !

ericde
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I've mostly just fished the Chip in early July so I don't have much to compare. I live about 10 minutes from Bone Lake (Polk County), so I know how much the fishing fluctuates seasonally out there. Typically there is a couple week window right away, and then the fishing tends to suck until September. I was just curious if the Chip Muskies had any seasonal patterns. I fish on the East side and obviously the weeds take awhile to grow on that side, so I figured that could be a factor.

Ty Sennett
07-14-2009, 05:34 AM
In looking at past records every month seems to be pretty close to even. From year to year there does seem to be a swing in size averages per month though. I think we boated around twenty fish for June from the Chip this year and will probably be close to that number for July when it's all said and done. If I had to pick one week to fish it would either be the last week of June or the last week of August only because the topwater fishing can be really good. the Chip is pretty steady all the way through the season. Makes guiding on it a little easier. It's rare that you don't get at least a few follows and one shot at a fish in a days fishing no matter what time of year.

MuskyManiac
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I agree with Ty, the most action I've seen on the Chip has been during the second half of June. The largest muskies I've seen have been during the second half of August.