PDA

View Full Version : pounder bull dawgs

tommyshoots
07-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Question for herbie and the guides. How often (if at all )and in what situations do you guys throw the bull dawg pounder ? And do you think it is as effective as the MAG dawg? What is your favorite rod for this THING?

Tommyshoots

Jason VandeKopple
07-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I havent tried them that much but I have heard they are more effective than the MagDawgs. I believe magdawgs are effective because of the water they displace and of course the tail; the pounder will probably displace twice as much water and has a much bigger tail so you can imagine what the fish think of it. The only problem I have heard from it is that the hook-up ratio isn't great. I would definitely think of using them especially in fall.

Steve Herbeck
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
when i ate my wheaties and spinach!!!
seriously yes it's a ton to throw but on the right equip and learning how to throw it it ain't that bad,most are throwing/trolling them in the fall when the feed bag is on

DanR
07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
when i ate my wheaties and spinach!!!
Honestly, it's a bit ridiculous. I could see maybe using one of these pounders to go back on a big fish in Fall for about 4-5 casts...but that's about all I could take.

I can rip a 13" Gramma for about a 1/2 hour before thats enough. I have heard though that sometimes slow cranking/rolling those big grammas can be deadly, though I have had ZERO success doing that (even going back on a previous follow at dusk). I would imagine, especially on Eagle where boatside manuevers are critical, that figure 8'ing on a hot follow with a big gramma would be tough.

Trolling is a different story though with these big baits. One year (maybe in a few years once the economy is back to normal), we should block off a week in the Fall and drag some big baits. I bet we could get some big, big fish. ;) I'm talking longer than the one we got last August, but with a Fall girth...