PDA

View Full Version : spinnerbait pike on July 10th

Kevin Lee
07-11-2009, 10:29 AM
My wife and I went out for about 3 1/2 hours yesterday and cast spinnerbaits for pike the whole time. It looked like it was going to be perfect conditions with dark overcast skies and a nice chop. But nooooooo... About a half hour after getting on the water, the clouds thinned out and for the most part, we had sunny skies. Since we only brought our casting rods though, we were forced to stick to the plan. We ended up with about a dozen northerns with the two biggest hitting 30 inches at the most. We weren't planning on keeping any anyways. We had a quite a few fish come unhooked too, but none of them felt like monsters or anything. Sure was fun though. I just love it when a scrappy northern flies from the weeds with the sole intention of killing that spinnerbait! The best color spinnerbait, by far, had a brown/orange skirt with a copper blade. The 2nd best color had a light chartreuse and white skirt with a silver blade. The warmest water we saw was 63 degrees. One thing I noticed, is that the weed growth is way behind compared to a "normal" year. I guess it's just another sign of the cold WINTER we are having this summer...