PDA

View Full Version : on and on south of esky

Phlounder
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Went 2 for 2 on Kings last night south of Esky, only boat on the water as best I could tell. One was 36" and the other was 30". After a long fight, the 36" dove under the boat and tied me up in the rigger cable and I managed to handline it the last 3 feet in order for me to get a net under it. It was a regular chinese fire drill with a couple teens on board to help me out. I thought for sure it was a gonner when I saw my mono wrapped around the rigger wire and the fish rolling around 8' behind my outboard. The 30" was a nice 'first king ever' for my guest. Both caught on the same purple fly in 90-95 FOW during the last hour of fishing light. Oh ya, both had bellies full of bait.

Kevin Lee
07-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like fun to me!!! Thanks for the report. This will probably make my brother want to put the riggers on the boat now...

DooFighter
07-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the report, that's encouraging. I'll be trying to fish this w/e. Story to follow...

bounty hunter
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Gary, never let the truth interfere with a good story.

dness
07-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a pretty good night!! Were you down by the Ford River can or just how far south is "south"

The Bait Shop Guy
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Talked to a buddy of mine last night after I got back from fishing. He picked up one king about 12 pounds. He was fishing just South East of the Escanaba harbor, near the red buoy. Dipsey/flasher/fly, 90 back on #2 setting.

Phlounder
07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Continued fishing south of esky with a little success this past weekend. Left fish to look for fish on Saturday morning and did not find anything but a little shaker. Returned late Saturday morning to where I had been doing well mid-week and quickly popped a nice 32" king on a rigger @ 55 in 90 FOW. A few minutes after boating the king we grabbed a nice 27" walleye on a 1/2 core of 45# copper. Sunday morning boated a 25" king on a dipsy within a few minutes of setting lines and should have quit then, that was it for the day. Ended 2 mornings of trolling close to home going 4 for 4. Not exactly lighting them up, but not bad for water I can see from my yard either.

DooFighter
07-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Fished south of esky last night going 3/3, all small ones, though. 2 rigger bites on broken nose and ?, 3rd on full core with rocketpower. Marked some bait, but not as much as I'd like to see. Fish came off the end of stonington point in 70-80fow.