PDA

View Full Version : Spider Lake

gobluelenny
07-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Our family will be returning to the Mercer area for the twentieth year in August. Looking for any assistance, information and or tips for fishing Spider Lake. Love to catch a few walleye. Any incite is much appreciated!!

spiderboy
07-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Our family has had a place on Spider for over 30 years and have fished it often. Its the toughest lake that I have ever fished. Honestly, i wouldnt have high hopes for catching anything but Musky. Weed beds adjacent to deep water will likely be the place to look for them when youre going to be there. Since there normally is a lot of boat action during the day, you might find that your best chances are at night or early a.m.

Jhondz
07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Fishing Spider Lake can be difficult, but fish are there.
For panfish, find the cribs that run along the lake. Most cribs are located in 13' to 17'.
Most Musky folks cast along the shore. I had a small musky follow a rapala last week along some surface weeds in about 5'-7' of water.
Walleyes seem to prefer to bite in the dark of nite or at sunset.
Search the lake with a depth finder, because everytime I fish there. I find more cribs and underwater islands that are not shown on any map.

esox1
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Lots of different kinds of structure out there--It is a darn good Musky lake and I have also fished it for walleye with some success---early in the season the walleye are fairly shallow and much easier to locate and catch---MUSKY, MUSKY, MUSKY---I fish it hard in the fall for Musky and have caught and seen some very nice fish out there.

gdi
07-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Where can you launch a boat on spider lake and are there any hazards to watch for (rocks stumps sandbars etc)?

Thanks gdi

SBoulden
07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Spider has a public launch at the river mouth however its very very weedy and shallow. Last year the water was to low to use it. You can also pay $10 to launch at the Pine Forest Lodge. Most rocks are marked but not all and there is a sand bar on the main basin that comes off a point that is unmarked. If you hit it you could always get out and push. A couple good sized stumps too as the river used to be used by the loggers and some left over trees still remain. Just take proper precautions and you should have no problem getting around.

Jhondz
08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Came up last week for the last summer fishing trip on Spider. Fish were on the feed! Even though the weather was nice from Sunday to Wednesday, then rain the rest of the week. The fishing was great. Lots of perch and gills found on the cribs. Released most of them and only kept the bigger ones for a fish fry.
Also caught a LM Bass and a SM Bass from some of the cribs. (C&R) All fish caught on half a crawler on a small hook. Found some new cribs and marked alot of fish in the 20' to 24' depths.
Still can't locate the walleyes and crappies though.
Hardly anyone on the lake last week. Usually had the whole lake to ourselves when fishing. Also saw alot of deer and turkeys in the Mercer area.