PDA

View Full Version : Mille Lacs update 7/5 - fishing is good!

Paul Schlagel
07-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I wasn't scheduled to fish the past couple days - it was family weekend. However, I was able to get out for a little while last night by getting on board with my friend and fellow guide Josh. Fishing out of Josh's boat was a real treat - it's pretty rare to have someone else running the boat. He wasn't supposed to be out fishing either but was able to squeeze in a short trip too. Josh caught a nice 52"er on a topwater. That's the second fifty I've netted in July, ...and it's only the 5th! This summer is off to a much better start than last year. It's looking like a "normal" year on Mille Lacs so far. The water temps are 70-71 and the weeds are looking good. The summer pattern is definately on and many of the traditional summer spots are productive. I've shifted away from small baits and am throwing big stuff all the way up to Pounders. It's on!

Sam
07-06-2009, 09:56 AM
What is meant by "traditional summer spot"?

Paul Schlagel
07-07-2009, 12:19 AM
I think I addressed a similar question on this board last summer. While I hate to let a question go unanswered, I simply can't get into that kind of specific detail when I give a fishing report. I try to give general, up-to-date information that'll help folks out if they're heading to Mille Lacs. I try to cover water temperature and water conditions, a summary of what the fishing has been like, the types of lures that are working, and a general description of the spots that are producing (rocks, or weeds, or sand, etc) and a general location (north, south, east, or west).

I won't give out specific directions to specific spots for a few reasons.

First, I don't want to show up to a spot to fish only to find that it's loaded with people who are camped out on the spot. Not only is it frustrating, but it's a real negative for the clients I'm guiding, too. I'm not saying I expect total solitude at all times - that would be crazy - but I don't want to add to the crowding either.

Second, I'm part of a solid network and I want to keep it that way. I'm tightly connected with fellow guides and friends who are on the water every day. We're connected and share information. When a person books a trip, they're not just getting my knowledge and expertise - they're getting the knowledge of a whole group of experts. The networking is very valuable and I'd be an idiot to do anything to mess it up. If I were to name spots on this message board, I'd be given the silent treatment from my network. No one would tell me anything. The guys wouldn't trust me with any information and I wouldn't be able to compare notes with anyone. I'd do the same if I found out someone was posting details.

I give help to clients after they've been out with me in the form of more detailed information. When former clients call or e-mail questions I'm usually helpful and tell them all they need. I call this extra help after a guide trip "after-care". I won't however, give out good detailed info on the message board.

Sam
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
It doesn't hurt to try!!!!