PDA

View Full Version : Lake Erie Walleye Trip

Tom Dietz
07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I took my boys, John and Matthew on a great walleye charter thanks to Larry Carr of Navionics yesterday. It was the boy's first ever trip to Lake Erie and the weather was perfect, overcast with a two foot chop. We went out with Osprey Charters with Captain "Buffalo" Don Lowther out of Port Clinton, Ohio. We boated twenty-seven nice walleyes up to twenty-five inches for a total weight of sixty pounds. One of the highlights of the day was yours truly catching a walleye on a Figure 8 at boatside in thirty feet of water!!! I have three witnesses, and it was amazing! It followed my crawler harness to the boat then swam off, and I immediately dropped my rod tip deep and made one L-turn and it hit so hard that it ripped off drag!!! It was a nice twenty-three inch walleye. Our charter captain said he never saw anything like it and it was all over the radio all morning with the other charter boats! I guess the old "musky instincts" took over when I saw the hot walleye follow up. Pretty cool!!

The boys had the time of their lives and we all caught a bunch of nice fish! Thanks again, Larry!!!!!!

CoachBlue
07-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Tom, Great pics and also great you caught all your fish casting!My hats off to a Captain, that can dial in on the casting program because trolling for walleyes, with Musky tackle is not a very good time though so many resort to that these days!I wonder if anyone ever trolls Musky lures between West Sister and Middle Sister something ive always wanted to do I will never doubt there are some big Skies lurking in that area! C.B

Tom Dietz
07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
It is always more fun to catch fish casting, regardless of the species. And catching a walleye on a true figure eight for me was one of the highlights of the trip, as was watching the boys hammer nice walleyes, sheephead, etc. Our Charter Captain (Don) was very good, and used his electronics really well to find schools of walleyes.

While out on the boat, he and I had the same conversation about muskies in this area, and I told him we called this the "Undiscovered Country", because we all know that not every musky in the Detroit River heads north in the summer!!!! Lots of food and lots of open water would make this a tough nut to crack, but I fully agree with you that there are DEFINITELY some big ol' muskies cruising around out there. Might have to give that a try some relatively calm day!