PDA

View Full Version : Changing Line

Lunker Lander
07-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I fish Musky twice a year. A full week during the summer - June or July and another trip during the fall - usually in October. In the past I have usually spooled new line every year. I'm wondering if it is necessary to change line that frequently when you consider the gear is only used two weeks during the year.

Traveler
07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Years ago when I used dacron or mono line I also changed it every year. Since I switched over to the new super braids I have some line that is going on 7 - 8 years old and its still as strong as when I put it on. Just check for any fraying on the ends and retie daily.

ShakeSphere
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree. If you are using mono.....once a year is a good rule of thumb.

If you are using Fireline, or something with less momory than mono....2-3 years (or longer) is possible between changes.

It all comes down to how much patience you have....and how much $$ you are willing to spend to reduce looping of line.

Lunker Lander
07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I still use mono for my sucker rigs but have use braided line and fireline with my other reels. I'll plan for 2-3 years and save a few bucks.