PDA

View Full Version : Toothy Critters

ryanmitchell
06-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Has anyone ever caught a musky or other fish that had a nother lure hanging from its mouth. You hear tales all the time, but I wonder if any of them have are true. I was just thinking about that this morning.

deantre
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
reminds me of the fabled jinglebell musky, had so many bucktails and spoons in it's mouth when it jumped and shook them it sounded like christmas.

gtaggart
06-29-2009, 01:23 PM
I caught a northern this spring with an ice fishing jig embedded in it's lower jaw.

Victor Harper
06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
My wife caught a 28" pike at otter rapids dam with two jig heads and a red hook embedded 2 years ago.

RobertTB
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I have seen a muskie that hit a Rapala a guy was using for walleyes. It broke the line, then a few days later the Muskie floated. The rapala had pinned the muskies mouth shut, leading to death. Makes me wonder if the fish is like a gator, lots of crushing power, but no strength to open. Know what I mean ?

ryanmitchell
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting stories. I know what you are talking about with the gator jaws. I have had a bunch of what I think are pike snap my bass lures and worms off real quick. I know that are a lot of fish in each lake, I just often wonder what happens to them after they snap the bait off.

The other pikes that broke off jigs, i had a picture pop into my head as I read it. It made me think of a punk kid that got distracted as a teen and has a coulpe of lip rings hanging out of his mouth. Tough fish though, with a little bling.

deantre
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I was fishing in a northern mn walleye lake and stumbled into a nice pike fishery there that no one was using. Being a bit naive, I was using 6lb test , no problem on the little northerns but when a big one would hit, I would loose it but seemed to always find the floating lure a day or two latter. Finally upped my tackle and went to multistrand leaders.

muskymeyer
07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
So far I have landed 3 muskies with "hardware" hanging off their faces. The last one was a 39 inch tiger muskie that hit a stillwater. It had a plastic looking minnow with small spinner hanging in the corner of its mouth. During a shake in the net the fish got rid of the minnow.
I caught a 35 incher on a crane bait with a beetle spin in the corner of its mouth and a 42 incher on a bucktail with a rapala looking lure hooked in the gil plate.

Corey Meyer