PDA

View Full Version : Fishing update

Jratthelake
06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
After a full week of mixed sun and clouds, and light to moderate winds we woke up to a steady rain and a pretty stiff SE wind. Some decided to brave the elements while others chose to wait out the worst stuff. As I am writing this it is still windy and has switch to the west but the rain has stopped and I see guys heading out.

Those that chose to go out did well with reports of nice walleyes in shallow water. I chose to troll for Musky this morning but found boat control tuff as I wanted to be right tight to the shore, after about an hr of trolling and a slight let up in the rain I casted a few spots on the way back for lunch, I did manage a blow up on a topraider in an area out of the wind.

The weedline bite had been productive prior to today and I would suspect that once the weather settles that this paticular pattern will continue to get better. We are hitting the first thing in the morning and for the most part can catch fish on them untill late morning, with an overcast sky and no winds you can catch fish on them all day long. We have caught only a handfull of fish that have been under 18 inches with a good number of 19 to 24 inch fish. The only thing you need to catch these fish is an 1/8oz jig and a 2 or 3 inch white, yellow or green twister tail. The fish we are catching are just in or on the edge of the weeds and we are making short casts into the openings or along the weed edge.

Bass fisherman are also doing well and are picking up many nice Walleyes as they fish the banks with ShadRaps, various plastics and topwater. A well placed popper or twitch bait thrown right up tight will take bass as well as small shadraps or Hot n Tots, the nice thing about the the small cranks is that once you are off the bank you can crank the bait down and pick up the big Walleyes cruisin for food along the shores. My favorite way to fish this pattern is with a jig and twister.

The Musky and Northern bite has been a little off but those that work at it will catch fish. We have seen a couple of very nice fish, mostly relating to weeds or in some cases where the weeds should be as we are still not seeing the red cabbage. I will update the Musky and Northern fishing as it improves.

As always good fishing and be safe on the water

Jratthelake
06-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Here are a few more photos I forgot to post above.