PDA

View Full Version : Some good kid fishing and a pike report.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I tried several spots out in the bay this afternoon looking for bass or anything else that wanted to bite. The smallies were a little off, but the pike seem to be picking up. They usually don't get into full swing until the first week of July. This recent heat wave has got them going a little sooner than normal. I trolled up seven of them between 22 and 30 inches on Bombers and spinnerbaits. Look for weeds, and you'll find pike right now. Ran into my dad at the Escanaba River launch and compared notes. He was fishing with some family friends in the Escanaba harbor this evening, and landed a nice 36 inch pike on a spinnerbait.

Anyway, on to the good kid fishing that's happening right now. I took my brother Trevor and his two girls, Delany and Olivia, down to the Escanaba River to troll up some walleyes. They are mostly undersized fish, but you can't beat them for steady action. We trolled small crankbaits, (#6 Husky Jerks and small Rebel crayfish,) in 3 to 5 FOW. The girls caught all the fish, their dad and I just ran the boat and unhooked them, (honestly, we had as much fun as they did!) They had several "doubles," and in total, they caught 28 walleyes and a white perch. Three of their walleyes were right at 15 inches, but too close for my liking, so they were released.

Here's the "crew" with one of their doubles. As you can see, one of them was very "squirmy."

weekend jimmy
06-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Chris for the post, I've been looking for somewhere I can take my son. He is almost 5yr and loses interest fast. I've never fished the river before. Do you put in at the new launch there in Wells or do you come in off the Lake? Any info would be great.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-27-2009, 05:10 AM
We launch in the river. It's a city access, so it will cost you $4 to go out of there. Motor down to the mouth of the river to where the pilings are sticking way out of the water. Troll upstream from there. If you follow the line of red channel markers, that'll get you in the ballpark.

Good luck.

weekend jimmy
06-27-2009, 08:51 AM
thanks Chris that was helpful. I'll let you know how we do if I get out this week end.