PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas??

ShakeSphere
06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Went fishing on Mendota this past Sunday AM. Tried off governors island for a while and hooked into some smallies, white bass and rock bass. Also landed a couple small walleyes in 12-13 inch range.

Most interesting part of the day was when we were fishing in 10-14 ft of water with deep submerged weeds. My brother was fishing with jig and minnow and hooked into something BIG. Immediately took out drag, and we had to use the motor to avoid being spooled.

He ended up fighting the thing for an hour and a half out in 50 foot of water (no weeds), using a 6lb test and 5 1/2 foot rod. Couldnt budge the thing. Never made any huge runs and always tryed to stay on bottom. Any time he made ground pulling it up, just pumped its way back down. The thing somehow threw the hook even with good line tension the entire time. Never saw what it was. Very frustrating!!!

Dont think it was a carp because I caught a 35 pounder last year on same exact rig, and boated it in 25 minutes.

Anyone have ideas of what it could have been? I know its tough without being there. Anything to help allieviate some of the mystery will help!

Muskie Nut
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Take your pick, a muskie, pike, or a sturgeon. Your guess is as good as anything.

rk_diver
06-24-2009, 11:22 PM
There's some huge cats in that area. Brother-in-law saw a monster a few years ago during a night dive. He looked up and there was a huge head right in front of his face. I've spotted twice now in the river channel between GI and Dunn's some very big fish. Both times the clarity was bad and all I saw were big bodies taking off (which is strange because most fish, especially big one, show no fear of divers). This was in 40 FOW. As MuskieNut said, no way of knowing for sure but my guess is you found one of the big cats. Rick

Rex
06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
My guess is definitely catfish. The huge ones hang down low, don't fight aggressively, but feel like you've hooked a submarine. It is a fish story now, we'll never know for sure.

Rex