www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: TFF lake vermilion question

Default TFF lake vermilion question

I've been fishing the TFF for about 5 years now and nothing can match its beauty and splendor, with majestic bald eagles and loons and sunsets and tall wisconsin trees it really is the crown jewel of the northwoods. However I'd like to venture out and try lake vermillion in NE Minnesota next year. If anyone on this forum has fished that area before I'd like to hear how it compares to the flowage. I mainly fish for walleye and pike and snags lol

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dandy View Post
    I've been fishing the TFF for about 5 years now and nothing can match its beauty and splendor, with majestic bald eagles and loons and sunsets and tall wisconsin trees it really is the crown jewel of the northwoods. However I'd like to venture out and try lake vermillion in NE Minnesota next year. If anyone on this forum has fished that area before I'd like to hear how it compares to the flowage. I mainly fish for walleye and pike and snags lol
    Vermillion's big differences are, deeper water, and suspended forage. However Vermillion is fairly easy to fish because of the deeper water, you eliminate those areas and look for structural elements 20 ft and above during the warm water season and you will find your fish. Great smallmouth walleye fisheries in both waters, with the bigger walleyes in Vermillion. Pike are not as common but run much bigger in Vermillion, and it would not be unusual to see a pike in the 35-40" size range in bag. Vermillion also offers a lot of clean trolling water if you prefer that. The emergence of the musky fisherie in Vermillion has actually benefitted those fishing walleye and bass, often leaving fisherman with a big selection of choice elements to fish without any real competition or interference from other anglers. Also, Vermillion has a reasonable largemouth fisherie, unlike TFF which has a pretty limited population of those. Panfishing are supposed to be good in Vermillion, with emphasis on perch and bluegill, but never fished those. I think crappie would be very tough in Vermillion unless it was spawning or you lucked onto a concentration.

There is absolutely nothing in common between the Flowage and Vermillion. I have fished them both several times--the flowage actually many times and vermillion 4 times. Want to catch a TRUE TROPHY MUSKY---The BIG V would be your best bet !! Both have good Smallmouth fishing---Pike are bigger in Vermillion having caught quite a few over 32" while Musky fishing. Walleye --- No question Vermillion Walleyes are larger and can be caught most of the time---Hire a good guide to get started on this water and you can duplicate and find similar structure in many other spots on this lake. Vermillion is deep and clear most of the time--- so targeting and finding the fish is different than on the Flowage--Also the trolling aspect give you another option of fishing not offered on the TFF. Want to just GET LOST and enjoy fishing away from the crowds and noise of others---TFF is the place for that !! Nothing like the true get away experience it offers.

Hire a good guide to get started on this water.

I clicked on the get started link looking for more information about Vermillion. What I got was some commercial thing about a Mom making $77 online from home. I've seen this crap before on other sights. Please, let's all work to keep this sight free from this garbage. We need the sys admin to remove this link so it doesn't infest this website.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.