www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Dining Out

Default Dining Out

Catching and preparing one's own meals on the Flowage is oh so good, but where do people like to dine out when in the Flowage area? I don't mind a longer drive, so don't feel too limited geographically.

I know more specific dining topics have been discussed, but as a food lover I would love to hear more.

Heart of the North and Around the Corner Pub are great for lunch. Gateway Lodge has a good dinner.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Midway for anything from burgers to steak.

Dear Lodge for Pizza

Cranberry Inn for fine dining

Hideaway

Here are my recommendations, which includes some repeats.
    I've been very satisfied with everything at Midway Tavern; the staff, crowd, juke box and especially the food. I've enojyed burgers, pizza and especially the Friday Fish Fry.
    I think Little Bohemia does a good Saturday night prime. Waitstaff is usually top notch too.
    The Spingstead Lounge has some great speacials that are really tasty (great deals too). Tacos, chicken wings and the prime rib sandwiches are my favorites. I've enjoyed everything I've had on the regular menu also, especially the Lounge Burger. Used to have some really great bar tenders too.
    I went to the Round Up once. Good food experience and nice staff.
    The Hideaway is always an "on-water" favorite of mine. Great burgers and pizza. They make a great Bloody Mary too, but watch out, pretty spicy.
    If you don't mind visiting the original Sin City, you can check out The Liberty Bell Chalet in Hurley. Great old spot. Nice bar and dining room. Good italian cuisine. The trip North could make for a lot of fun after dinner too.
    There are plenty of others that I've heard are good, but these are the joints I can speak of based on my own experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC View Post
    Midway for anything from burgers to steak.

Dear Lodge for Pizza

Cranberry Inn for fine dining

Hideaway
    I usally fish through supper, but have had many breakfasts at Tom's Cafe in Mercer. Great eating.

I will second the Dear Lodge Pizza. Spectacular flavor and bountiful ingredients. You can drive a long way between pizza places that are this good.

Quote Originally Posted by perchoreno View Post
    I usally fish through supper, but have had many breakfasts at Tom's Cafe in Mercer. Great eating.

I will second the Dear Lodge Pizza. Spectacular flavor and bountiful ingredients. You can drive a long way between pizza places that are this good.
    We've been coming to the Flowage area for 30 years and have eaten at many restaurants. Gateway Lodge has a good dinner, Cranberry Inn is also good, but in my opinion they are over priced just a little bit and not really what I would call 'better' then some of the recommendations here. The Hideaway tastes great, but being from Chicago I just can't agree on the Dear Lodge recommendation for pizza. Sorry all, but Chicago pizza is the best. However, I don't see Ding A Lings (Betsy and Guy) which is just south of Mercer, but my favorite which I also don't see mentioned is The Pines Restaurant (Colin and Margie) right in Mercer and across the street from Tom's Cafe. If you want homemade delicious food that is the place to go! Although we haven't tried it I've heard nothing but good reviews on their pizza as well. Bon Apettit!

Have to put in my plug for Skylawn. It's about halfway to Hurley on Hwy 51 and has great steaks.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

After owning property up here for 25 year, I became a full time resident of Mercer almost 2 years ago. I've found it beneficial cost wise to venture out to do my major shopping. I agree with all those postings of the places in the Mercer area for good eats. I also agree very much with vspeedster that Liberty Bell in Hurley has excellent pizza (different but as good as Deer Lodge) as well as a unique and great caesar salad. Just a bit further is Tacconelli's in Ironwood which I swear has the most outstanding hamburgers for lunch that I have ever had. They have a selection of about 6 varieties, all including a choice of taters / fried onions, and beverage for $4.95. They also have a nice salad bar / buffet available.

Pontoon boat came in this weekend... looks like it's time for the next season, although I noticed Musky hunters were out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by perchoreno View Post

Has someone taken over the Dear Lodge since Kat's passing?

Thanks, HRG

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Kat's significant other, Jim Way, is now running the bar. We had a pizza there last night and it was excellent as usual. Kat's Musky tournament was also there. The winner was a 48" fish caught on Trude lake. Many other Muskys were caught by participants.

Fisher Lake Inn use to have not only the best Pizza in the Mercer area but the best skinny crust pizza in the world. And I mean it...........Not sure whatever happened to that place. I think it changed hands.

I agree with sureshot - The Pines Restaurant in Mercer. Very good food.

Pine Lake Lodge just up 51 from Mercer in Oma. Best ribs and steaks.
    Sky Lawn Supper Club if you want to drive up to Hurley
    Little Bohema in M...Waters.
    Ding A Ling Supper Club
    Johnneys Bar in Mercer

Hidaway use to have the best fish fry and really excellant all around food. Not sure if they still do.

I've got to put in an endorsement for The Kimball Inn, a bit Northwest of Hurley on US 2.

Good drinks, food, and service.

Ruggers landing hands down has the best food in the area. I'm a home owner in Mercer, and that's my vote. 2 miles north of 51 and FF intersection on 51 on your left if heading north ...... kind of a run-down place, but you won't beat the prime rib on Sat. evening. Has a rustic bar and friendly people. Again, don't let the looks of the joint scare you away. Larry Fonk