www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Best set-up for bow mount troller & message for Blue Ranger

Default Best set-up for bow mount troller & message for Blue Ranger

Hello All, I have three transom mounted Minn-Kota's ...... I'm going to get a bow mounted set-up. I need your opinions on what type of controls (foot,remote, joy stick) etc. work best. I've read some reviews on the Minn-Kota site and get mixed reactions as to what works best. I'm all set with the shaft size and other requirements , but the control part is what is up in the air now. Since you guys are the best darn fishing group I know of, let's here some opinions so I don't make a mistake in my selection. Note: The "Blue Ranger" asked me for the name of the National Geographic photographer. I'm really sorry Blue, I just can't remember his name. I will see him again this summer and try to get that info for you. Soft water here we come !!! Regards, The "Old" frog caster, Larry F. in wonderful Mercer, Wis.

For my money a wireless foot pedal is hard to beat. I have the I pilot with remote and if you spend the time it will work as good as a foot pedal but for shear convenience I wish I had the foot pedal. Wireless is nice as you can fish out of the back of the boat as well as the front.

Get a Terrova with both the remote and footpad. I always used a footpad, but now I use the remote more often.

Default TSimple and it works for me

I fish out of a Smoker Craft with a tiller motor. All my electronics are facing me in the back of the boat. So I have a long cord on my trolling motor footpad. If I have an inexperience person in front or if I'm fishing alone, I just bring the foot control to the back of the boat and I'm good to go.

Plus there are times I just like to be in charge, like when I want to catch fish!

Personally, I've always preferred a foot control with mechanical cable steering, because after a few uses your foot learns which way the motor is pointing based on the pedal angle, and I rarely have to look at the motor or pedal while I'm fishing. You can also change directions faster. I find both to be advantages when I'm maneuvering around boulders or a stump suddenly pops up in front of me. And they don't have any motors or electrical components to go bad. But if you like to fish sitting down, they do take a little more effort to steer than when you're standing.

This all depends on the type of fishing you are doing. If you will be doing some trolling I suggenst you go with the electronic stearing. I know in alot of locations you cannot troll in Wis.
    I prefer the cable stearing for most types of fishing. I have a 16 foot bass boat and mosly fish for bass. I have a humminbird mounted in a possition that I can turn it and see it from the console or up front. With the cable strearing I can go into skinny water to retrieve my bait if it gets hung up. I can also quickly reach down and pull up the motor and still be able to operate it before i hit bottom. Must electric motors this is very hard. The other nice thing is you can pull the motor part way and turn it on if it is full of weeds. The motor is lighter at the head and that help also.
    One other thing. I would suggest you go with 24v if you have room for two batteries. You will be able to spend more time on the water. With the money you save on a cable motor,I would purchase a good on board charger. The technoligy that is out today will condition the batteries and make them last 1-3 years longer depending on how much you fish.

i upgraded to a 24v system and 80# power drive with I pilot. it's awesome. no foot pad offered but I dig the wireless remote and the spot lock feature

I think the new Minn Kota I-Pilot Link is the greatest invention since beer. Kind of pricey though. The ability to follow a specific countour depth line or a specific distance from shore is amazing. Just sit back & fish!

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...reshwater.aspx

Well, it's not exactly a new concept. A Pinpoint could do those things 15 years ago, but there wasn't enough demand to keep it on the market with a $2000+ price tag, no matter how great it was to fish with. And it was an inherently more accurate system, since it worked off actual sonar returns instead of contour lines on a map card that are interpolated from a limited number of data points. But it's interesting that somebody else is giving it a try, and I'll be curious to see how it does. I guess the big difference in the cost of this system is that you need a fishfinder/GPS and trolling motor anyway, so if you're outfitting a new boat it's really "only" $800 extra for the Link controller. But I guess if there are people who will spend $500 for a reel...