www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: question about ice

Default question about ice

Hi All,

Am going to be gun hunting in the area this year, any input on public land would be appreciated as far as where it is!! :-)

Also, i left my boat up there and would like to do some fishing, is the water usually open yet that late in the year?

Thanks,

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

There are thousands of acres of public land in Iron and Asland Counties. Get yourself a plat book to find them. If you don't want to buy a plat book, go to your local library to look at one.

The DNR has maps showing State owned land. Stop by your local DNR office to get one or look on-line at the WDNR site.

Ice up on the TFF varies every year and is anybody's guess as to when it will happen. Right now the long term forecast would indicate that the TFF will be open on November 17th, but that can all change in a matter of a few days.

Good luck with your hunt.

In addition to getting a Plat book, a new web based map of Managed Forest Land (open to hunting) is now available from WI-DNR. This map also shows County forest land and most other state owned lands

The web site is : http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestLandow...nToPublic.html

As for open water fishing, some parts of the TFF have had shell ice the last several mornings, but it has melted off by early afternoon. Like Scott said, it's hard to predict what the ice situation will be in a couple of weeks.

Considering that there has been ice on several bodies of water already, I would be more inclined during that time period to be able to ice fish than fish out of a boat... It is supposed to warm up later this week, but I have seen ice formed over Mid Lake in Minocqua, heard its on Island on the Mannie Chain and heard of broken tail lights at the boat landing at Buckatabon in the last two days!!! I would consider the TFF to be one of the earlier bodies of water to lock up. There is a number of lakes with either deep or large acres that typically stay open after the flowage though. Breaking tail lights is getting close to thick enough to stand on...

Mark

Thanks for the input, doesnt seem to promising on open water but this week is supposed to be close to 60 so lets hope. Anyone on here ever hunt out on big island by the way?

We've had years where the Flambeau iced up before deer hunting and we've had years where we were lucky to get on the ice by Christmas- it all depends on the weather. Yes, I do know a few people hunt on the big island. My older brother does, not real far from the dam. He goes across with the boat most of the time, but has walked across the ice as well. I know that others hunt it as well but don't know where. Some guys come in on the bridge while others boat across.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanrischman View Post
    Thanks for the input, doesnt seem to promising on open water but this week is supposed to be close to 60 so lets hope. Anyone on here ever hunt out on big island by the way?
    I have been hunting on Big Island for the last several years.

We've been seeing more doe. My son shot a spike buck last year. Only buck we've ever seen on Big Island.

Plenty of "sign" on Big Island. Plenty of other critters... I'm ready to move on to other areas, though.