www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fantastic Fall Colors!

Default Fantastic Fall Colors!

Wow, talk about hitting it right... I just returned home from a weekend at the TFF, and I think this is the first time I can remember that I didn't even put the boat in the water. I spent most of two days in the U.P. and points between, emptying batteries and filling memory cards. Fall colors were at their absolute peak in many areas, and they were as good as I've ever seen. During the course of the day Saturday, some of the spots I drove past on Highway 51 actually went from brilliant color in the morning to noticeably faded by late afternoon. I spent all day Friday visiting several sites in the Porcupine Mountains, and Saturday I stopped at Copper Peak and Black River Harbor. There were lots of stops along the way both days, including the Gile Flowage, Bessemer and Wakefield. I also found time to get some great morning and evening shots at the TFF, including some light fog Friday morning and very heavy fog today, along with a rising full moon Saturday night. On the drive home today, I spent some time driving back roads in the Blue Hills area near Weyerhaueser, and had a fantastic encounter with several eagles courtesy of a roadkilled deer on EE west of Park Falls that resulted in some of the best close-ups and in-flight shots I've ever captured. I have 1400 shots to go through and it's likely to take all week, but I'll be uploading some samples throughout the evening.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

The colors were fantastic this weekend. Definitely peak. Snow showers predicted for Friday.
    The walleye bite is fantastic right now! Walleye tournament at Donners Bay Resort this weekend, Oct. 6-7, 2012.

Hello Blue Ranger, You are spot on !!! it was gorgeous this weekend. Early A.M. Sunday we departed from our dock into the dense fog. Our neighbor (former Iron county head nurse) had a nephew up for the weekend. As we pulled away from our dock using the minkota troller I saw him setting up a tri-pod and camera on shore. Later we met this fellow who captured some pics of us using his zoom lense with a back drop of dense fog, colorful tree line, setting full moon and water like glass. I have to admit the picture was absolutely stunning. Turns out he's from Chicago and does articles for National Geographics......... don't worry if this picture appears in any magazines I will always remember my humble beginnings !!! Oh to top off the morning I had the second largest Muskie I've seen since 1961 follow my black bucktail right to the boat ........ I "figure eighted" for a dozen times or more till my partner said enough already !!! ...... he's gone ! @4^&@ ....
    I kid you not he was close to 50" ....... Kind Regards, Larry F. (frog caster)

I've had a chance to go through most of the photos and have uploaded over 100 nice ones at the link below. There's a nice variety - the TFF and nearby roads, some great eagle shots, waterfalls, lots of fall colors and a few odds and ends mixed in.

Well done Blue, well done! Thanks for sharing.

HRG

Hi Scott, was up for some preliminary Wolf hunting etc. We saw the colors drop on Friday , almost all gone by the end of the day, snow Friday night, and sat morning. Wondering how Donners Bay contest went. Lousy day for fishing saturday, flowage way , way down. It was the kind of day where if you caught any walleye, you better keep it, could be a winner . Who won and what were the weights for 1st etc. Thanks. P. S. not much info posted here that there was even going to be the standing fall ritual at Donners. Could have maybe helped with the attendence, but of course hard to get the boat in, we looked at Donners ramp and it was 100 % dry, Porky had his boat tied up out on the point. That would have made it tough navigating on the flowage. Hope all went well for the contest.

I added a few more this morning... I'm about done now.