www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Tamarack drawing down again.

Default Tamarack drawing down again.

Sounds like Tamarack is getting drawn down another 5 feet which equates to a total of 10 feet below normal pool. Since the lake's deepest point is 15 feet under normal conditions, by the end of the week there will be only 5 feet of water left in it.

Were all the muskies relocated during the last big drawdown? Were any muskies put back in there when the max. depth was 10 feet? That water has to be boiling down there this summer. Sad situation for the fish as well as the folks who live around the lake.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Doesn't Tamarack have two dams with a hump in the middle? Ive never fished there.

Red- I do not know if they all ready removed any Muskies, but I got this off another site-

saw a post on another site that said all they were getting in trap nets were 6''-8'' crappies 2 walleye & only 3 musky.

All I have been reading does not sound very good!

Another awesome lake falls victim to Pa's poor money managing skills or in other situations like Hereford manor hidden agendas like a gas lease! It is a real shame, all the money generated by sportsman and women goes right down the drain. There was also a two page article in the Pittsburg post today, sad very sad!

Man, that really sucks. I've only been on this lake once but had hoped to get back there this Fall. I guess I just don't understand how a little more planning could have had them draw the lake down during a cooler period to at least help give the fish a better chance of survival. Obviously I don't have any experience with that kind of thing, but man, seems to me there could have been another option rather than the hottest time of the year. Good luck to those that are helping with the transfer of the fish. I'm sure that they are doing as much as they can to rescue as many as possible.

A WCO told me at Glade Run Lake that before 2008 Gov. Rendell signed a law that changed high hazard dam requirements in PA. The dams had to meet up to a 100 yr storm (as in a storm this bad only comes along once in a hundred years) in the past and now the dams have to stand up to a 500 yr storm. This conversation was maybe 4 or 5 years ago and Hereford Manor talk was starting then but this WCO suggested at the time that Glade Run lake and others were going to need upgrades to remain open and full. It may not be a coincidence all of these lakes dams are "leaking" all-of-the-sudden. It is possible for these dams to leak or maybe they used to meet the old requirement and now they do not meet new requirements. I think it is possible not all info has been made public in these lake matters and "leaking dam" is a PR line.

Just for fun- Is it possible these drawdowns are the result previously displaced water caused by hidden UFO's under the water (not detected by sonar). Sure would explain some unexplainable snags I've gotten into.

There is a Dam very near me. This Dam had a leak discovered in it a year after completion. So this leak has been there for over 50 years. It has been minitored and even tried to be repaired once. The size of the leak has not changed at all. I guess what I am saying here, is that these leaks just did not happen all-of-the-sudden. What I was told is this. After the Levys failed during Katrina and there was a catastrophic loss, all things pertaining to fllod control and the such were re-evaluated. This may be why there are so many Dams in the state in the same draw down condition. Remember years back when that bridge failed in another state and it was full of cars? I drive a pretty good distance to work everyday, and I see PA replacing and or fixing bridges in numbers like I have not seen before.

Just my 2 cents

LMAO Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that finds those "UFO" snags. Back when I was messin around a bit with trolling, I found one off of a point in about 30ft of water. All I needed to do was drag a bait through between 10 and 15' down and I'd catch that blasted thing every time. Not a single thing would ever show up on the sonar. Thats when I was VERY happy to have purchased a lure retriever from Toothy!!

Thats interesting info about the changes over the last few years. I just still hope that they can find some other ways to displace the fish and give them a better shot at survival.

On a positive note, it sounds like progress has been made on a lake (Dutch Fork Lake) that I grew up near and fished quite a bit when I was younger. It sounds like the dam repairs are complete and they are close to being ready to start the refill. It just worries me how long it might take to come up with the money needed to make all these repairs. I'm sure these kinds of things are WAY down on the list with all the budget cuts that keep happening every year.

I think we are missing the point here! A lot of talk about the fish and the relocation process, how about the lakes? We are losing lakes that people and their children have fished for many years, it's a shame! I agree relocating the fish is important but come on what is wrong with pa! Where is all the money going to, we spend money on stamps and permits every year! I guess the loss of the lakes really has a huge impact on the sport of fishing the the local areas of destruction! Take Hereford manor, it not only provided beaver and Lawrence county residents with a nice enjoyable place to fish but also many from miles away. More needs to be done instead of just settling for the, " the dam is leaking" let's rip it out! The dam at moraine is also not in good shape, will it be next?