www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Spider Lake

Default Spider Lake

Going out on a limb, as I know most are TFF fishermen here, but giving Spider Lake a try for the first time this weekend. Have heard it's a tough lake to fish, but giving it a go regardless. Will probably focus on bass and muskie initially, crappie and walleye if we can find them. Any suggestions are appreciated. I know it doesn't get a lot of attention, but thought I'd give it a shot.

trav

when I was first intoduced to the Mercer area, we used to stay at Pine Forest Lodge every trip.
    The fishing wasn't easy for the first ten years or so, but we eventually figured it out. I suspect you don't have that much time to waste, so here are a few hints.....
    Walleye: jig and crawler/ worm/ minnow/ or even Gulp. we anchored just outside the thick cabbage weeds and casted in.
    Try around Doctor's point (has the big satelite dish). Also look for the large laydows sticking off the shorelines.
    smallies: shoreline is always a good bet in early June, however don't overlook the rock bars. Again, any laydowns along the shore too. Jig, slip bobber, or my favorite : top water!
    panfish: I'm not sure if it is still there, but there used to be a crib between the green beaver island, and the shore closest to it (green beaver is the island closest to Pine Forest Lodge).
    There are also a number of cribs in the bay that the lodge sits above.
    As for the muskies.... don't overlook throwing at the river mouth that leads to the oxboes. That area always produced for us.
    I hope this helps, or even holds true, as I havn't fished Spider in 10 years or so....... you know.... since I started my love affair with the flowaga.
    chris

Hi Chris,

I'll take 10 years in a day. Actually a buddy of mine got a place on the lake, so we (he) might have that kind of time, but these are great starting points. It's not a huge lake, but pretty deep and relatively clear. Sounds like muskie fishing is good, bass fishing is adequate and walleye fishing is tough. We'll see how it goes.

As for the love of the Flowage, that's easy to figure out. We'll be making trips there as well, just not this weekend.

trav

I have found that the more I smell of awesomeness, the better the fishing. I have found these tricks to be some of the best at increasing "Awesome Stink": Bacon Flavored Whiskey, Chain Saw Smoke, eating Venison and Mushrooms for 2-3 days, and a small dose of a secret ingredient I like to refer to as "TC".

Other than that, stick to the weed edges. Its June....if you can't catch a bass go home, you are not a fisherman. I agree with The Dreamer on the channels great spot for muskies and also Bloody Mary's.

Best of Luck, hope the fish are biting and the strippers aren't.

Twist

there are a few spider lakes what one are you talking about

sureshot - Spider Lake just NE of Mercer on the Turtle River.

Twist - That sure sounds like a recipe for a good time, maybe even a few fish. Might have to give those tips a try as well. How about this weekend?

is it down J aways if so a coworker has a place out there and he said its kinda low thats all thanks

Will head up tonight. Meet you at the Beaver Lodge just outside of Mercer. I will bring Wild Turkey in case we don't catch any fish.

Twist

how did you do? did the suggestions help?

Sorry late to reply. How'd we do? Fishing - not so great. Fun - always. The first night lasted late into the evening, so starting was slow the next day. The water was low so landing the boat at the public launch was interesting (waded the boat out). The weather was clear and bright sun. So we floated some shorelines, casted on some cribs, etc. etc. but admittedly didn't fish real hard. An undersized perch, bass and northern if I recall. Then dragged one gentleman around trying to ski for a bit.