www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Inconsiderate boaters

Default Inconsiderate boaters

After reading several comments in a few threads about rude drivers I have a question (or two) and am interested in your thoughts.
    How close is too close and is slowing down to anything more than a 'No Wake' really help full?
    I certainly agree that passing between a boat 25' feet from shore and the shoreline is wrong as is blowing by any boat too close for comfort. Some things are obvious...

But, I have always thought that if I am on plane and come by a boat more than say 30 or 40 yards away, that I create less wake for that boat if I stay on plane than if I drop down to 1/4 or 1/2 throttle. So rather than slow suddenly and create the push and wake of the boat settling into the water I stay on plane and move as far away as practicable from the fixed/anchored boat.
    Anyway, just looking for others thoughts

If you're close enough to worry about your wake, slow down ahead of time and pass at "no wake". Trust me, 1/4 or 1/2 throttle is too fast. If you think your slow-down wave is going to affect them, you're slowing down too late.

HRG

I agree slow down early so your wake has no effect on the other boat , and that doesn't me 1/4 throttle. If you are in that big a rush then I would rather see a boat go by at full throttle than any thing other no wake speed.

My own strong preference when fishing is that other boaters do as ranger618 suggests and just drive past without slowing down, as long as there's enough space to do it at a safe distance. In addition to the wake issue, I did a fair amount of scuba diving in my younger days and observed that fish are often visibly spooked by a change in speed or an engine starting or stopping nearby, but usually ignore the sound of boats that approach and pass at a constant speed. Unfortunately, noise has a lot of emotional impact, so slowing down and passing more quietly is often seen as more considerate even when it may be causing more disruption below the surface. From the other side of the issue, you also have to give some thought to where you're fishing - if it's a busy day on the lake and you drop anchor in a spot where you're creating an obvious bottleneck on a frequently traveled route, that isn't exactly courteous either...particularly in areas where giving you a wide berth forces other boaters into areas with underwater obstacles they may or may not be aware of. Anchoring over the hole in the rock dam comes to mind, and I can think of a few other similar spots.

In the incident I mentioned last weekend, the boat was driving at no wake speed, and that's been the case most of the times I've had similar encounters. Given the location of our cottage on one of the more heavily traveled routes on the Flowage, I find many more occasions to worry about boats passing our dock at a speed and distance that causes a large wake - particularly later in the season when there isn't much water under the boats. Perplexingly, these are usually people who appear to be uncertain of their surroundings - in that circumstance, the logic of driving at a speed that pushes your hull and motor deeper into the water eludes me. Wisconsin law does hold boaters liable for any damage caused by their wakes, so you really need to give some thought to what's happening behind and to the sides...

I have struggled with the same question. Slow down and appear courteous, or zip on by with minimal wake impact. I usually slow down, but I'm rethinking my approach.
    "Try not! Do, or do not....there is no try."

I have a little boat, so I'll stick with the going by slowly. Even if it's not the "best" option for bigger boats, I think the gesture is usually appreciated.

I do a lot of fishing here in FL where we have to run down rivers 3-7 miles to the gulf or through residential canals and federally marked channels to get to fishing spots. The rules here are slow-no wake signs are posted and enforced in congested areas or areas where divers are down or when manatees are present. Otherwise the speed limit is 25 with in marked chanels or rivers. Many of the areas are too narrow to allow 25 mph and most boaters respond by slowing down- there is also a law like Wisconsin's about being reckless and/or being responsible for your wake. Because we are dealing with shrimp boats, crab boats, 40 foot off shore boats, bay boats, sailboats, airboats, kayaks, and flats boats all using the same water most folks run slow- no wake within a 100 yards of an achored craft. The rule of thumb has been, if you are close enough to read the registration number on the anchored vessel, go down to slow no wake. I completely agree with Hotrunr Guy.

Hey guys ........ fishermen should slow down and "RESPECT" the position of another boat whether trolling or anchored. It's all about the fact you acknowledged the other guy. By slowing down it tells the other guy you "RESPECT" his space. Consequently life on the lake/flowage etc. will be good !!! Regards, Larry (frog caster)